Author Topic: Tyres summer/winter  (Read 1932 times)

Petemate

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 2008 9-3 150 Tid Sportwagon Kennington Oxford
    • View Profile
Tyres summer/winter
« on: 08 November 2020, 09:55:28 AM »
That old chestnut. MOT a couple of weeks ago, only one advisory, same as last year front n/p cracked. The tyres getting a bit low on tread, not advised on the certificate though. Yesterday I saw that they are nearly on the markers so popped the winter wheels on. At around 4-5 mm they will probably just last this winter, having done one season on my lad's Evo including a Sweden trip, and three (AFAIR) on the Saab.

I'm then seriously thinking about a set of Goodyear 4 seasons to go on next spring as we haven't had a winter around here worth worrying about for a good while now, also we tend to only go local or an occasional trip to Chesham and Bordon.

Hope you're all staying well and safe.

Pete

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Tyres summer/winter
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2020, 11:14:59 AM »
The Nokian A4 winter tyres that I have been using are labelled “All weather”.  I have used them at high speed on German autobahns in May on the way to the Alps. Absolutely no problem at all.  On my wife’s car they have stayed on all year round when I’ve felt lazy!

It’s the norm in Europe for many cars to use winter rated tyres all year round, especially those that are not driven regularly at high speed.  I can’t find the quote at the moment, but Continental Tyres had a statement on their website that said that “if you have nowhere to store a second set of tyres, you should use winter tyres.  Winter tyres still work on dry roads. Summer tyres do not work on cold, or snow covered roads.”
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Petemate

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 2008 9-3 150 Tid Sportwagon Kennington Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2020, 09:19:08 PM »
Thanks Will. I'll have a look at the Nokians in the daylight tomorrow and see what is on the sidewalls. When used on dry warmer roads I do know that they perform well and are reasonably quiet.

Pete

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #3 on: 08 November 2020, 09:37:12 PM »
Yes, the Nokian winter tyres are a lot quieter than their summer tyres!
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2020, 04:41:52 PM »
Michelin Crossclimates are a good compromise. I've run them for a few years now and been very happy with them. Road noise is low.

There's an offer on at F1 Autocentres on them at the moment too, so you cna get them fitted for under £100 a corner.