Author Topic: Complete loss of coolant...  (Read 3991 times)

jimmym105

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Complete loss of coolant...
« on: 13 October 2019, 11:51:48 AM »
Hi all - had a sudden drop of coolant last night - a load of steam and a coolant low warning. Was luckily very close to home and got back before the temerature rose too high.

Had a look this morning and one of hoses behind the driver side head light is to blame - a very rusty clamp has given way and the hose has come off. I was wondering if you could advise on when to add the coolant once I've fixed? When cold? I'll obvs need to keep an eye out afterwards for the level.

Thanks in advance - and sorry for a seemingly basic question

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Complete loss of coolant...
« Reply #1 on: 13 October 2019, 07:44:59 PM »
Well it's cooled down now and dark, sorry for the delay.

When cool is best, to avoid thermal shock & potential component cracking.

When was the coolant last changed.I would be tempted to fully drain, flush and refil if you lost a lot. Otherwise, top up with a good strong mix, say 40-50% antifreeze.

Make sure you don't mix coolant types. Blue with blue, pink with pink.

Fill to the max mark, leave the cap off, heater on full hot, let the engine get warm and the coolant start to flow through the header tank.Top up as required and then replace the header tank cap. Hopefully any air lock will be gone by then.     
« Last Edit: 13 October 2019, 08:00:19 PM by carrera »
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2019, 08:16:10 PM »
If it's all drained down, I would consider replacing the thermostat.  If it's the original, it will be fairly tired by now.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

jimmym105

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2019, 07:35:55 PM »
Thanks all - a weeklend job being planned. I think I've lost loads so will flush and replace. Had a new thermostat 6 years ago, so may not replace that but not made my mind up yet. Will report back! Cheers

jimmym105

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2019, 12:31:52 PM »
It's all holding up so far.

I managed to be able to screw it sufficently tight using a wratchet screwdriver from above....