Author Topic: How to tell if a clutch is on its way out if it's not slipping?  (Read 44504 times)

Finbo

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
How to tell if a clutch is on its way out if it's not slipping?
« on: 04 September 2011, 03:43:24 PM »
A quick question. I was told by somebody that my clutch was on its way out after they briefly drove the car (9-5 2.2 tid estate). I said how can that be as it's not slipping or behaving in any strange way whatsoever.

I was then told that it's because the biting point is high and towards the end of the clutch's travel, so that's how they know it's on its way out.

Can anyone clarify whether this is true or not. To be honest I haven't noticed the biting point being particularly higher than it was a year ago.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
Re: How to tell if a clutch is on its way out if it's not slipping?
« Reply #1 on: 04 September 2011, 04:20:06 PM »
Hello Finbo - I dont know for certain if this is the case with SAAB, but it certainly is for the majority of other cars I have owned, so the chances are it is the case

BOF

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2011, 04:31:57 PM »
As a generalisation, as a hydraulic clutch wears the biting point does indeed move higher up the travel, until eventually the clutch pedal is fully released but the diaphragm spring cannot exert enough clamping force on the driven plate to stop it slipping - which is when the latter gets changed. However, the initial biting point, the rate of wear, and the point at which unwanted slip will start, all vary between makes, and indeed from car to car (a bit).

Your clutch may be near to needing replacement, or it may have many thousands of miles left in it. What mileage has your car done, under what sort of conditions (traffic use, slipping the clutch on take-off and for  gearchanges, is what wears the clutch; trundling down the motorway in top for mile after mile does not)? How long have you had it, and do you know when if ever it has had a clutch change?

BOF

Finbo

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 September 2011, 04:41:25 PM »
The car's done 136k. I presume it's the original, so it's lasted pretty well.
I suppose how long it'll last is the question. I'm mainly on the motorway or A roads so it's not being given a tough time in the main.
Roughly how long do you have (time/miles wise) once the clutch starts to slip (I presume this will be the next stage)??

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 September 2011, 05:12:05 PM »
Once it starts slipping you can't really say how long it will last, being very gentle on it will help but driving it like you stole it could mean life is measured in hours. It is worth saying that I've pointed out to people in the past that their clutch was biting very high and they had just got used to it and didn't believe me but then I've had other people ask about a clutch as they've been told it's biting very high when it wasn't. I'd get a second opinion from a friendly garage.

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 September 2011, 07:54:44 PM »
Just a thought... the comparison is only relevant if it is against the same model/engine- I would expect there will be differences between petrol and diesel models for example.

banger

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 1
  • Saab 95/05 Linear 2.2 TiD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 September 2011, 08:25:54 PM »
When I was hoofing up a hill on a test drive my 2.2 TiD I had a sudden rev counter blip from 2k to 3k just after changing into third. I can't reproduce it on driving the car again up the same hill and no slip on take off. I just assumed it was ESP kicking in, hope it's not clutch on a 50k car. Biting point seems midway but if it's anything like the 9000 the biting point should auto adjust.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 September 2011, 09:05:30 PM »
Just a thought... the comparison is only relevant if it is against the same model/engine- I would expect there will be differences between petrol and diesel models for example.

Not really, once a clutch has a high bite point it's quite obvious. There isn't any difference (or if there is it is slight) between petrol and diesel models and they will vary anyway due to having different amounts of wear on the clutch :)

It really does depend on the driver and how often they drive other cars as to how quickly they notice, if they rarely use anything other than their car they are far more likely to not notice the clutch getting higher over time. If you drive 2 cars then you'll (generally) notice it much earlier.

Finbo

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 September 2011, 09:39:38 PM »
Well, I've also got a C900 convertible which has a much stiffer clutch than my 9-5. I also drive the odd pool car from time to time at work as well. So, I like to think I would have noticed something different. But you never know...
I've always found the 9-5's clutch very light and easy compared to many cars and have not noticed the biting point being any higher than before.

pauljdh

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 September 2011, 09:45:24 PM »
My 2002 Aero bites quite high I think, (117K) I'll check tomorrow on the trip into work. I live in a hilly town (beautiful Belper) so I'll know when its begining to struggle!

Is it a costly job on a 9-5?

Only asking as a few years back I spent £595 on a new pressure plate and master cylinder for my 9000CSE to sell the car for £600 a month later!

Paul

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 September 2011, 10:32:06 PM »
It's a very similar job on the 9-5 as the 9000. I'd say prices anywhere from £400 using cheap parts and cheap labour up to £900 at a main dealer. A genuine clutch kit is about £250 including the vat then you have a bit of gearbox oil and brake fluid on top, SAAB say it takes 5.5 hours to do the job so labour would be anywhere from £35 hour to £100 an hour.

idlerider

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 5
  • 2003 9-5 Aero estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 September 2011, 11:38:14 PM »
Amazing. I remember changing the clutch plate on our 900 Combi turbo years ago - about £30 for the clutch plate and I did it in the street - in mid-winter - in about an hour. As I recall (dimly): undo three screws, remove plastic shroud, lift out clutch plate, place new one and reverse procedure. That's progress? :-\
I'll certainly be checking the bite on our Aero when it comes back from the body shop!

luckyegg

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 September 2011, 07:51:06 PM »
i currently have my clutch out its the original on a 2001Y
car has done 121k and its an aero based on thickness of original o would say its got about 10/15k left before it would need a change if i dindnt have the engine out,

In terms of cost the kit for the aero has come in just over £300 plus vat, that is saab original part,
labour, its atleast a subframe drop if not engine so would allow 6/10 hours for a garage todo,
and at current prices you could be talking, upto if not over £1000.
if you have the clutch done its prob also worth doing the timing chaing replacment  whcih would add a £189 plus vat for parts and a few more hours labour so can work out expensive
If you where to do it yourself id allow a good 3 to 5 days if you got the right kit, and the experiance.

TomPaine

• SST paid up supporter
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • MY04 9-5 Aero auto estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 September 2011, 11:13:56 AM »
(Out of interest, what are others' experiences with clutch longevity? My ex-1998 lpt - now in my brother's hands - is still on its original clutch at 13 years and 170k miles.)