Author Topic: SID Pixel failure  (Read 7247 times)

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
SID Pixel failure
« on: 15 November 2011, 06:19:33 PM »
A colleague of mine has a 2001 93 (Petrol) that has suffered a pixel failure on his SID. I understand this is a relatively common problem.

I had a very quick scan through ebay today and found someone offering an "easy fix" that involves following a set of instructions that the seller sends for approx £7.
Can anyone tell me if this fix is likely to work or is it better to simply not bother and source a replacement?

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
Re: SID Pixel failure
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2011, 06:41:25 PM »
No need to pay for freely available info- indeed I think people who sell it are morally corrupt (that's the polite version!)

http://www.saabworkshop.com/index.php?page=workshop&article_id=10

It is a bit hit and miss though and generally only puts off the day when you need to pay for a proper repair

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2011, 06:50:41 PM »
Okey Dokey - I did somehow suspect that.

Very many thanks for the link. I will direct him to that and pass on your advice.

Regarding the eventual repair, have you any reliable contacts for the this?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #3 on: 15 November 2011, 06:55:10 PM »
There are two repairers that have been recommended Simon at http://saabdisplayrepairs.co.uk 

And a newer guy: Sidmaster.  I think Sidmaster was working at AeroSaab, but has gone on his own since AeroSaab gave up.

There is another repair place  "Saab Display Repair" (note no "S" on repair).  Their reputation is rather hit and miss.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

chris aka zaphod

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 12
  • GWS, Bristol
    • View Profile
    • Great Western Saabs
« Reply #4 on: 16 November 2011, 12:00:19 PM »
Yes, I recommend Simon. I have met him on more than one occasion. He is one top and helpful  fella, and his work has a lifetime guarantee.

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 November 2011, 01:28:46 PM »
Had mine repaired by Simon DeGare, 3 days turn around from Norwich to Wales, repaired and back.

Top job and no troubles since

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #6 on: 16 November 2011, 08:17:44 PM »
Looks like Sidmaster is residing in Gloucestershire ...which is not a million miles from my colleague - he's in Witney oxon.

I will post back here when I know the outcome.

Many thanks to everyone for the info and advice.

DRM

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 September 2012, 01:24:29 PM »
I realise I am late to this thread, but I felt I should make people aware of a self repair that is possible on the SIDS display.  I mentioned it in my review of my Saab 93 but not in a specific SID topic.  There will no doubt be people regularly looking for solutions as it is a common problem.

It fails because of weak contacts of the ribbon cable between the display and the circuit board.

I carefully took my SIDs unit apart and placed a piece of foam about 6mm thick and <10mm wide over the contacts before putting the circuit boards back together.  I reassembled the SIDs and put it back in the car.  Two years later I still have a perfect pixel display and have not had to have the unit out again or readjust it.  If I needed to I would be able to remove the foam to allow another form of repair, there was no soldering or adhesive involved.

If only the bulkhead crack, rear main seal leak, neutral safety switch failure and water pump leak were so easily fixed..... Still love the car though.

Regards, Mark.

chris aka zaphod

• LPT
  • GWS, Bristol
    • View Profile
    • Great Western Saabs
« Reply #8 on: 25 September 2012, 07:57:05 PM »
Yep.
Here's one I wrote, illustrated, around 7 years ago.
It worked for me, and others, but I accept no responsibility, etc.....

But, Simon really is your man, for a more direct repair.

Similar happens with the Lexus LS400's display, in a way, except the display goes black! We did work together with that one, with a view to making available repairs/replacements if necessary, as there was one in the fleet at the time.
« Last Edit: 25 September 2012, 09:13:01 PM by chris aka zaphod »

saab talladega turbo

• LPT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 November 2012, 09:34:12 PM »
take it apart and iron the nuts ot of it. at last 6 months still working.

saabsmurf

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2017, 04:35:53 PM »
I have just repaired my SID after purchasing 'SAAB 9.3 - 9.5 Replacement SID1 SID2 LCD Display and Non Bond Ribbon Cable Pixel Repair until 2004' from akspeedo (www.akspeedo.com ) I emailed them first because my casing states SID 2 but the ribbon was SID 1. Got a reply straight away and when I ordered it came by return post. Excellent service. Easy to follow instructions meant a simple job. 100% satisfaction.