Author Topic: New driver insurance  (Read 1255 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
New driver insurance
« on: 11 August 2023, 07:08:39 AM »
My daughter has started looking at cars to get an idea of what to buy next spring/summer when she comes has saved a bit!!

So she is sending me links to all sorts of car ads!!!!

She is 18, and been a named driver on my Peugeot 107 since passing her test about a year ago.

So, just wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a suitable car to look for (re cost to run/buy, insurance/tax etc). Only stipulation is she wants an auto. And she's looking at all sorts at the moment,but doesn't want a 107/C1/Aygo!!!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: New driver insurance
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2023, 09:51:56 AM »
The online insurance companies have recommendations. Like this…

https://www.comparethemarket.com/car-insurance/content/cheapest-cars-to-insure/

The list just seems to be small cars, so not that helpful.  Is there an independent insurance broker near you?  Usually a one man band.  They can check quotes and advise on stuff like adding you or your wife to the approved drivers on her car.  Some people have got acceptable quotes on bigger older cars.  One guy found that his daughter got the same quote for a non-turbo Saab 9000 as he did for a Ford Fiesta, possibly because there was no data in the insurance world for young people in unusual cars.

Try different things.  Insurance is very odd.  Last year we took my 9-5 to Sweden for a couple of weeks.  We left on Friday and returned on the Sunday.  So 17 days in all.  My son and daughter in law came with us, so I phoned to add them to my insurance for the holiday.   I found that they wouldn’t do more than 14 days for them and that was priced at £92.   As most of the driving was at the beginning and end of the holiday, I asked for one to be added for the first 14 days and the second for the last 14 days.  The insurance wanted £142 for that!   As a last resort I asked them to quote for adding the two for the whole year. It was £72.  Totally illogical.

However, a girl at our kids school (many years ago now…) stated that her plan was to get to a good university and find a rich bloke to marry! :o
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

TomPaine

• SST paid up supporter
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 17
  • MY04 9-5 Aero auto estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2023, 01:36:09 PM »
Hi Steve. Not sure if you want best first-car or best young-insurer advice - presumably both! These questions come up a lot on HonestJohn. I would furnish links for convenience but I've just checked and there a lot of pages and threads: if you google 'honestjohn first car' you'll generate plenty of food for thought, along with budgets and insurance implications.

But here is a page usefully directed to cheapest cars to insure:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/guides/cheapest-cars-to-insure/

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2023, 10:01:10 PM »
How about a 108 then  :)

Who's paying the road tax & insurance, that's usually a good argument, £20 vs £395 for the 9-5 these days. The 107 etc are remarkably simple cars, but well enough built for what they are, got one in the fleet too.

If she wants something "better", then I would be looking at a 6R Polo or even a VW UP, but they hold their value rather well
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD