Author Topic: Graphite Green 9-5 Aero rescue  (Read 51284 times)

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
Graphite Green 9-5 Aero rescue
« on: 31 October 2018, 05:20:10 PM »
I have just bought a 2003 9-5 Aero estate in Graphite Green, with light accident damage.

My intention is to put it back on the road, rather than break it, subject to any advice given on here, and to do a little re-build thread.

It's a high spec car, sunroof, ventilated seats, sat nav and I believe the Harmon Kardon Prestige audio system as there is a speaker on the right hand side of the boot, 128,000 miles with mainly main dealer history.

This is as I picked it up

Today I have removed the damaged wing and front bumper. The bumper will repair, but it needs a splitter. The plastic part of the headlamp is damaged so it needs one of those, but the rest of the metalwork is fine, and though dry the washer bottle too..

The tailgate wasn't shutting / opening correctly, neither did the warning lights work. The problem there was the plastic covering over the latch in the tailgate was damaged, stopping the latch from retracting easily. The microswitch is also u/s, the giveaway being the connector was hanging loose. When I reconnected it the lights stayed on when the tailgate was shut. So probably a mechanism needed.

I was a bit surprised to see corrosion on the panel behind the bumper, is that normal ?

SID is telling me "Service Theft Alarm".  The remote control isn't opening / closing the locks either.

Might this be the issue, many pieces of broken plastic deposited themselved when I removed the arch liner  :)

9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Graphite Green 9-5 Aero rescue
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2018, 05:44:52 PM »
Looks to be fairly straightforward to fix.

The bumper bar can get a bit rusty.  The plastic padding fits in tight and traps the water. 

The other areas that you need to investigate for rust is the rear wheel arches.  My 2007 ones were vey rusty behind the plastic liners.  I was advised to clean off the loose rust and use some rust treatment, followed by hammerite and underseal.  i used some rust convertor called Hydrate 80 from Bilt Hamber,  It seems to be very good, and it doesn't need washing off before you paint it.  It was recommended to me by Martin at Jamsaab in Bristol.  He does a lot of work on older cars.   As a recommendation, I used some nearly two years ago and the work is OK, but I cleaned the brush out by painting it on the rusty retaining chain on my trailer.  That chain is still not rusty and there was no paint over it.  And it's hung in the open air all the time.

The alarm siren that you have removed will not affect the remote key entry.  If neither key works, and the batteries are OK, you may need to look at the box that receives the signal.  It's situated at the back of the centre console.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 October 2018, 05:50:35 PM »
Here's the state of my rear wheel arches.  2007 estate at 160,000 miles
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 October 2018, 05:56:03 PM »
My bumper isn't too bad.  Its lost paint where the padding rests.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 October 2018, 06:06:40 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies - though I didn't get notified of them, so here's another test.

You're right on the rear arches. My blue one was left too long and has spread quite badly. I don't like the cost of new panels from Saab either. This one has the classic first signs, about 10-15mm of rust showing at the front edges. That can get treated when the other bits are being painted. I've heard good stuff about Bilt Hamber too, thanks for the tip. You've shocked me a bit with the picture of the rust on the inside of your arch though, I wasn't expecting to see that.

The other accident damage is to the rear right hand door. Like the front wing, that'll be a second hand replacement as I suspect it'll be cheaper / a better fix  than repairing the one on the car.

It was only when I went to lock the car tonight I found out the remote wasn't working. I should have known, the plastic lock cover was missing. Key fob batteries are the next item to check, though I suppose I should dig the other key out first  :)

« Last Edit: 31 October 2018, 06:08:16 PM by carrera »
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 October 2018, 06:55:00 PM »
I still can't get the notifications to work. :( 

Maybe we need an upgrade.  The software is a couple of versions behind, but I need to get very brave to do anything that fundamental.

When you replace the rear door, don't forget that the estate and saloon doors are different.  There's a very small extra bit at the top rear corner.  Front doors are the same.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 October 2018, 08:06:05 PM »
A quick post to see if you get a notification now.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 October 2018, 08:17:21 PM »
Changed the email to SMTP.  Any change?

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2018, 08:53:03 PM »
Not on my side, how about yours ?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 October 2018, 10:03:32 PM »
No nothing.

I'll look into a software upgrade of the board.  But it won't be for a while.  We have a loft conversion starting in 2 weeks, and I have a house to clear.  I need to be able to use the computer without the risk of power cuts and other things. 

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 November 2018, 12:12:16 PM »
The other key fob doesn't open the doors either, so two flat batteries or something else is wrong.

It's annoying having to use the key to open the boot - the boot release and the petrol flap don't work, there's the sound of something catching when the window goes down, so someone's been messing.

Whipped the door card off and saw the loom was not tied down, nor were the connections onto the back of the buttons. Nice simple job, put the connectors on and test. The petrol flap now works, the boot release still didn't.

Time to test the switch. It didn't seem to be working correctly so I dismantled, cleaned the internals and re-tested. Having looked at the wiring diagram I then spotted that the connector only had two wires, not the three that the switch has.

Time for a spot of loom repair I think. :(

« Last Edit: 01 November 2018, 02:32:23 PM by carrera »

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 November 2018, 02:42:47 PM »
Loom fixed, fuel flap release, tailgate release and door underlighting all working correctly. :)

I found a large rubber strip in the bottom of the door, and couldn;t see where it fitted, couldn't see it on the EPC parts diagrams either.

I did find a number printed on the back so with a quick google for FC1939 I came across this thread, with a picture. http://forum.saabturboclub.com/showthread.php/121849-Var-i-d%C3%B6rren-ska-denna-list-sitta

My Swedish is a bit rusty, so I had to resort to Google translate - that didn't help much either, but I after pulling almost the entire waterproof seal off I spotted that the outer window runner did not have a rubber guide strip fitted. bingo.

I fitted it but have hd to remove it again because one of the green runners / retainers is missing so the window just pivots.

Here's a photo with the strip pointing at the missing runner. Some more minor parts to add to the list, and an explanation for the rattly window when lowering.

Someone's definitely been messing. I suspect a window problem, leading to the loom being moved, not put back correctly and then teh window going up and down eventually chops the loom to the door switches.  :(

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 November 2018, 03:36:52 PM »
The green rollers are quite cheap.  Try to get "genuine", they are better, or used to be.  Some of the eBay specials have a very short life.  I use www.saabits.com for my genuine parts,  run by Bill Jones who used to live locally but is now in the south-west.

One tip on fitting the green clips.  Put the wire clip on first and press the roller onto the spindle - I used a small G-clamp.  trying to get the clip on afterwards is very hard. Grease it all up.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 November 2018, 03:52:52 PM »
Cheers  :)

I try to use Saabits whenever I can - I'm a "pre VerticalScope" Saabscene member, so remember him and others from those days.  No need to share my details with 201 advertising partners on here  :) :) :)

In fact, I'm just in the process of fitting some handbrake return springs I bought from him for my grey car
« Last Edit: 01 November 2018, 07:03:58 PM by carrera »

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 November 2018, 08:23:08 AM »
The rubber in the bottom of the door is common. It's come out of the rear internal window channel.

I have a shark tooth bumper (need finishing rubbing down and painting) and headlight if you're interested :)