Author Topic: Transmission/Wheel Noise?  (Read 2594 times)

Carmadone

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 2
  • 2006 Saab 9 3 Vector Sport SS TiD (150)
    • View Profile
Transmission/Wheel Noise?
« on: 13 September 2011, 11:05:21 PM »
Can anyone give any suggestions for this?  I have a 9 3 TID (150) 2006, with 42,000 miles on the clock.  I recently got new tyres all round and since then I've noticed what sounds like a "metallic rubbing sound" everytime I turn right.  It's not very loud & I only hear it at lower speeds (up to about 20mph), only when turning right but not when I drive off from cold.  (Takes about 10 miles driving until I notice it) It sounds as if it's coming from the front nearside wheel but I'm not sure.  I suspect the new tyres have nothing to do with it but wonder if it may be the brake disc rubbing?  I've had a quick look but can't see anything amiss.  Brake pads are OK but I suppose could do with a change in the next 5,000 miles or so, discs look fine as well.

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Guyver1

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Transmission/Wheel Noise?
« Reply #1 on: 14 September 2011, 12:35:44 AM »
Very possibly the brake disc cover is catching the disc, usually it's come loose or is distorted, wheel off and get rough with it, it should be stable, any movement will need to be addressed

Carmadone

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 2
  • 2006 Saab 9 3 Vector Sport SS TiD (150)
    • View Profile
Re: Transmission/Wheel Noise?
« Reply #2 on: 14 September 2011, 10:40:02 PM »
Thanks Guyver

Took the wheel off tonight and there was some movement in the backplate albeit very slight.  It didn't appear to be rubbing the disc but, as I only noticed the problem after the tyres were changed I think you may be right.  They may have knocked it when doing the tyre.  I pushed it away from the disc slightly and then took it out for a quick run - all seems very quiet!  I will be able to tell on the way to work tomorrow.  Thanks again.