Author Topic: Saab plans to restart production August 9  (Read 4677 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Saab plans to restart production August 9
« on: 08 July 2011, 07:26:22 AM »
Saab plans to restart production August 9
Automaker gets Sweden's OK for crucial property deal
Douglas A. Bolduc
Automotive News Europe | July 7, 2011 14:59 CET

Saab owner Swedish Automobile NV said today that the struggling automaker aims to restart production at its Trollhaetten plant on Aug. 9. The news follows the Swedish government's approval of Swedish Automobile's request to sell part of Saab's property unit to a consortium of Swedish real estate investors, the company said in a release. The European Investment Bank approved the property deal on Tuesday.

Swedish Automobile, formerly known as Spyker Cars NV, last week signed a 28 million euro ($40 million) deal to sell 50.1 percent of Saab's property unit, Saab Property AB, to a consortium of investors led by Hemfosa Fastigheter as part of efforts to ease its cash crunch.

Saab will get about 22.5 million euros at the closing of the deal, which is expected to happen today. The rest will be in the form of a bond. The consortium is allowed to boost its investment to 33 million euros within 30 days of the deal's closing, according to the release.

Saab and Swedish Automobile say they have been able to raise about 61 million euros in "additional funding commitments" over the past few weeks.

Saab continues to negotiate with its suppliers to get them to resume deliveries. Saab said today that it is targeting Aug. 9 as the start date because its suppliers "require a longer lead time to resume adequate supplies" and to take into consideration summer shutdowns at many of the component makers.

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
Re: Saab plans to restart production August 9
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2011, 07:44:50 AM »
Hope they can keep the production line moving this time  :)

v6ragtop

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 July 2011, 08:03:38 AM »
I'm probably a complete nutter but I thought that saab should consider re creating a classic (like the mini did) they could initially do it as a limited edition (imagine a 900 turbo or a V4 brand new )

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 July 2011, 12:43:27 PM »
I think that was what Victor Muller wants to do with this small teardrop shaped Saab 9-1 or however he wants to brand it.

The last I heard Saab were looking to either use the current MINI platform when BMW replace that car, and collaborate on the engines, or collaborate with BMW to use the new MINI platform for the 9-1.

I may have the facts jumbled up, but it was something along those lines.

I guess Saabs main priority is to survive long enough to be able to do a 9-1 at all!!!!  :o