Author Topic: 9.3 Cambelt replacement - is it advisable to do Alternator Belt at same time  (Read 2870 times)

mirv

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
I have a 56 9.3 1.9 TiD 150 Sportwagon with about 58,000 miles on the clock due for a cambelt.

I understand that it is advised when getting the cambelt done to replace the rollers and tensioners, and also the Water Pump while down there, replacing coolant. 

Someone has said that it would be a sensible time to also consider replacing the Alternator Belt at the same time - I would be interested in your thoughts?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Welcome! :)

Yes, replace the water pump when doing the cambelt.  Use only genuine parts.  There are reports of cheaper aftermarket pumps failing early.  Although I believe that Gates make the Saab pump.

Not sure on the alternator belt. I think it's done on condition, I'll try and remember to check the manual later
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Oh! Why do Saab try to make things so difficult...

There is a service schedule for the 9-3 which shows 36,000 mile and 72,000 mile services, which don't mention the cam belt at all.  Then there is a service mod which offers a cam belt change at 74,000 miles, but doesn't mention the water pump.

Although I haven't got a 9-3 diesel, I been told by a dealer that Saab recommend a new pump with a new cam belt.  It's possible that my manual is a bit out of date...
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
You might be looking at one of the years where the cambelt was something odd like 92,000 mile replacement (150,000km) , it was later changed back to 72,000 miles.

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
Wen I bought mine at 4yrs/60,000m, I got them to change cam belt, idler, water pump and accessory belt.

May as well do it all together.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
If you're doing the belt you should do the water pump as that's generally the thing that seizes and destroys the belt. Given the cost of the job and the parts then yes, you should do it all including aux belt at the same time. If you can't afford to do the service then budget about £800 for when the belt snaps and the lifter rockers need replacing.