Author Topic: Blower packed in  (Read 4227 times)

ra5ax

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Blower packed in
« on: 16 January 2012, 05:43:16 PM »
Went to my car this morning to go to work and typically on the coldest day yet no fan for heating etc none at all doesnt even attempt to work, now checked the fuse (40amp one in the passenger side of the dashboard) and its fine only thing i know is that it worked fine yesterday and before and that you can hear a mechanical noise if you change in from outside air to recirculate.

any ideas im getting very wound up with this car and its constant little glitches.

means that again im without a car for work as i cant defrost the screen on the inside!!!!

thanks

andy

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Blower packed in
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2012, 06:11:10 PM »
At least on the 9-3SS you can get to the blower motor fairly easily.  It's right behind the glovebox.  Glovebox unscrews and come out in one piece.  Maybe a bit tight getting the tin box on the side through the hole.  I used a thin plastic strip to ease it through.  There are two wire connections to pull the spades from (interior light and footwell) and don't forget the rubber tube for the cooler.

I think that the motor has a separate controller wrapped around underneath.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2012, 06:21:11 PM »
There's three bits.  Fan, Controller and regulator.  All three have been replaced by different units over the life of the car.

Article : Fan
PartNo : 12799559
Usage : 2003-2006, RHD, AC, NLS-USE 13250118
Order Quantity : 1

Article : Fan
PartNo : 13250118
Usage : 2007-2011, RHD, AC

Article : Regulator
PartNo : 90566802
Usage : 2003-2005, AC, NLS-USE 90512510

PartNo : 90512510
Usage : 2006, AC

PartNo : 13123053
Usage : ACC, NLS-USE 13250114
Supplementary Description : fan
Ch. --91017719
Ch. --96002132

Article : Control unit
PartNo : 13250114
Usage : ACC
Supplementary Description : fan
Ch. 91017720--
Ch. 96002123--

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

dav

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2012, 04:53:24 PM »
When my blower failed last year it was just a case of it being either frozen or stuck as the spindle was coroded a bit.
I just took off the cabin filter on the bulkhead and got my hands down to the fan and freed it off.Then I sprayed with lubricant as a temp measure.
Later in warm weather I took the fan out and cleaned off all corrision on the shaft and covered in grease. So far with the latest cold snap its all okay.

This post reminds me to give it another spray this week.  Its easy to access though from the engine bay to free up. Actually taking the blower motor out though a different matter, very fiddly I thought.

dustydes

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2012, 09:56:30 AM »
As said water getting into car and dripping onto fan causing it to rust and the water freezes, stuck motor.
Caused by blocked drains in scuttle or over use of pressure washer. Check scuttle drains are clean and pollen filter is dry. With pollen filter out of the way you can grease the top fan motor spindle with a spray grease, like motor cycle chain grease (aerosol) the bottom one will be a lot harder to get to. Wd40 dries out too quick.
Next will be burnt out resistor pack.
The Vaux vectra c guys have same problem and some have drilled a hole in base of fan cover to allow any water to drain and grease the bottom bearing.

link to vvc

http://vectra-c.com/forum/index.php   

good luck

des

Petemate

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 2008 9-3 150 Tid Sportwagon Kennington Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2012, 12:03:21 AM »
Also (idea shamelessly nicked from the Vectra C) drill three holes along the bottom of the casing for the pollen filter.
My blower motor sometimes chirrups like the robins in our garden (though I wont try to calm it down like I do the robins by feeding it meal worms and wax worms - lol) what I did was pull away the pollen filter and spray a little squirt of the silicon spray that those nice peeps at Cumnor left in the car when I had a service done there. Only had to do that once in the last year, a couple of weeks ago it gave another little chirp but nothing since.
HTH
« Last Edit: 23 January 2012, 12:07:39 AM by Petemate »