Author Topic: Please help. Problems with sound and electrics  (Read 1529 times)

whippet01

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Please help. Problems with sound and electrics
« on: 11 April 2017, 11:32:26 AM »
Hi. I am hoping that someone knows what I'm talking about. I bought a saab 93 2004. Since buying it the sound has intimately turned off. I cannot pin point when it will happen.  All of a sudden there is no sound from the indicators or radio. I have taken it to a mechanic who said there was no fault appearing. It seems to be happening more frequently. Also my front widows will  now not go down so I dont know if it's linked.the indicator lights work it's just the sound.

Also I wanted to change the cd drive to a cd player. When I pulled it out of realised I needed some form of optical cable converter but can't find it anywhere.  (Electrical problem was happening before I pulled out the cd player and put it back in) any advise would be really appreciated.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Please help. Problems with sound and electrics
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2017, 07:21:02 PM »
Welcome! :)

Do you know which audio system you have?  There were three...

4 speaker system fed from the head unit (EHU) hidden behind the aircon panel - the CD player hangs from it. The Fascia Control panel (ICM) is just knobs and buttons.

7 speaker system.  Speakers as above, plus a centre dash speaker and two bass speakers in the front doors.  These speakers are driven from an amp under the passenger seat.  The fascia control panel has a keypad and a 3 inch square green screen.

13 speaker system.  As seven speaker system, but with two 6 x 9 inch speakers in the rear driven from another amp in the boot. And four small tweeters in parallel with the original 4 speakers.

All the units and amps are linked by optic fibre.  The two cables form and optic ring main.  It must be complete for any of it to work. The usual culprit is the amp under the passenger seat.  It rusts and fails.  This is caused by water ingress through the fresh air inlet and heater blower.  The water in the area in front of the windscreen builds up if the drain is blocked.  Clearing the drain should be part of every service.  It is often forgotten.  :(

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.