Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Off-topic chat, Help, Advice, General motoring issues / Re: Peeling lacquer
« Last post by sgould on 22 April 2024, 01:31:30 PM »
The problem you will have is that the exposed paint will be dirty.  Unless you get it really clean, the lacquer won't stick.  And, it's clear that the exposed paint is not suitable for getting lacquer to stick, as it hasn't stuck before.  So you will probably need to sand down to get a key, which will expose the metallic particles and alter the finish.

Maybe a good clean and de-grease and a coat of lacquer is all you can achieve, in situ.  But expect to have to do it again in a year.
« Last post by Steve McF on 22 April 2024, 12:40:49 PM »
My son is not too bothered that it doesn't have lacquer in places, but I'd just like to tidy it up a bit if I can. Worst case, i could probably find another bumper of the right colour from a scrappies, but I wanted to have a go on this bumper first, at least. If the colour is slightly off, he won't be too bothered, as it is already slightly off with no lacquer :D

The car is metallic tango red apparently.
OK, so that points to a break in the sensor resistance at high level.  The resistance for a break being infinity, it would give a reading of empty.
There's what looks ike a decent diagnostic in WIS, but it does assume you have access to the tank

Buried away I see that for EU empty is supposed to be 250 ohms, full 40

You could try applying 12v in the appropriate places to measure the voltage the ECU would see - seems to be operating on 5v due to a 487 ohm resistor though. An idea anyway
It's sunny now, but too late to start anything.  I may have a bit of time tomorrow, but she needs the car at some point.

One point I realised was that the CarScanner report said that the level sensor failure was "high output", which implies that there is less resistance than expected.  So the sensor must reduce the current as the level drops.  But it also implies that the sensor has a short circuit, not a break as I had imagined.
Thinking a little more, it might be worth taking readings from the ECU before you fill up.

You'll have two data points that way

When it stops raining  ;)
Carves with GoodYear Vector 4 seasons off and cleaned and stored.

Turbines with GoodYear Eagle F1, all clean, back on.
8-9k at most.  2.0 didn't come with Drivesense as standard.  And like mine, the lack of the top end audio is a bit of a let down....
I think I'll try the ECU once it's refuelled.  I got the new battery fitted.  Now it's raining again...
« Last post by sgould on 21 April 2024, 12:03:16 PM »
Take the bumper off.  Rub it down and start again with a primer.  If you just try and replace the lacquer, it will still look odd.  You really need a key for the lacquer, and if you rub down the black, it will look like it.  A fresh coat of black with the lacquer a few minutes later without rubbing down.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]