Author Topic: Half way down France and I have a P1181 error code.  (Read 5995 times)

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Half way down France and I have a P1181 error code.
« Reply #30 on: 24 July 2023, 12:23:25 AM »
Will,

Sorry I have not been around to give any advice, really pleased you managed to get her home OK.

I'm assuming your sexuality has been identified as Saablover ? Crapita indeed  >:(
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 24 July 2023, 02:30:06 PM »
Surprised they didn't have blood group and inside leg measurement to give away.

TomPaine

• SST paid up supporter
  • High Output Turbo
  • MY04 9-5 Aero auto estate
    • View Profile

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #33 on: 25 July 2023, 11:35:38 AM »
Thanks! I?ll look into that. If successful, it will help towards the cost of the hire car!
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

welshwizard

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 25 July 2023, 02:37:16 PM »
Hi welshwizard, must've been something seriously wrong with that Karoq.  True, it's a big car for either version of the one litre, but should've been much easier on the petrol than that, even fully loaded, whatever the traffic conditions.  Very strange.  Don't judge all Skodas by that experience!  If you ever move from Saab, it's ceertainly a brand to consider.

Meanwhile, Will's still got a fair distance to cover...

Well. the Superb is on the list of possible NG replacements, as long as it doesn't have the same seats as the Passat (which are uncomfortable).  And it would have to be the 2-litre turbo of course....I have a serious dislike of 'SUV's as I have had a few rentals e.g. Tuscon, 2008, Karog which have all been awful.  So much so that when I go to pick up I reject them and plead for a Golf with its uncomfortable seats...

The Karoq was really straining on the autobahn and the regional roads to get up to and maintain speeds but no error codes were showing.

Glad Will made it back to the UK, doesn't sound too good for his car though.  I sold my DE to get the NG just shy of 100,000 miles.  Still a great car but the regular outlays was getting too much to bear.  Sadly, there are no records for the car since 2017.

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 25 July 2023, 04:51:06 PM »
I forgot to mention the main reason I changed my Karoq for my current A4 Avant - the Karoq was just boring.  Comfortable, fair performance and economy, room for four and luggage for a week, but as forgettable and plain as a fridge.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 25 July 2023, 05:33:16 PM »
I have spent the afternoon looking over the car, and I'm getting more convinced that the French garage is sub-standard. 

They found nothing wrong, but they must have fiddled. The non-start the following morning was odd.  But I think they left the ignition on all the time we were away from the car. I was waiting in their reception for the car to be brought round.  The rest of my party reported that the garage man went around to get my car with a booster pack.

Today I checked the coolant.  I was charged for new coolant, but it doesn't look very pink, and I found that the cap on the tank was so tight that I had to get the oil filter remover to undo it!!

I do hate franchised dealerships.  This one was Peugeot.

I think the engine light on the way back was my fault. The lambda connector is next to the CPS connector.  I might have disturbed it while checking things trying to fix the non-start.

I phoned Joe at his place in Epsom and he suggested the engine might be flooded.  Trying to start with the the throttle pedal down will cut the fuel.  It seemed to work.  But I checked the plugs and they were dry.  But if it was flooded, it could only be a leak through the injectors. Possibly because I was 1000ft higher than the start of the journey. Then again,, I had no trouble on the way home.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 25 July 2023, 05:34:39 PM »
If I do get rid of the 9-5, I will avoid a Skoda.  The nearest dealer is less than a mile away.  They have a terrible reputation locally.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 25 July 2023, 09:51:52 PM »
I have spent the afternoon looking over the car, and I'm getting more convinced that the French garage is sub-standard. 

You don't know how much I wish you were closer to me

I do hope they haven't mixed coolant types  :(
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 25 July 2023, 10:22:13 PM »
So do I.  But there's no sign of blue

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 26 July 2023, 01:21:12 PM »
If I do get rid of the 9-5, I will avoid a Skoda.  The nearest dealer is less than a mile away.  They have a terrible reputation locally.

Couple of dealers round here like that.  My nearest (privately owned) gets custom from people who pass their local franchise and travel 50+ miles to get here.  Probably true of all car brands, they're only as good as the the local dealer.  I expect we've all got experience of that.

Seems that Peugeot dealer just wanted your car off his premises, knowing it's unlikely you'll pass his way again.  Terrible way to treat people in trouble.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 27 July 2023, 10:53:24 PM »
Well I've stripped out the servo pipe and confirmed the cause of the lean running codes.  A new pipe is due tomorrow.

A thermostat should arrive at the same time.  So I'll change that as a precaution as well.

It's actually the spigot on the non-return valve itself that's fractured, not the pipe.  If the engine had been cold, and I'd had the opportunity, I could have glued it up to get me home.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 28 July 2023, 02:03:31 PM »
New servo pipe arrived this morning.  Now fitted.

I was going to do the thermostat as well, but I'm getting too old and my fingers are too arthritic.  I'll let the garage do it when it's in for the other stuff.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 28 July 2023, 05:54:05 PM »
One small relief.  There's what appears to be a special cable tie and mount on the bulkhead, but it turned out to be a block with a slot for a normal cable tie, and the block screws on to a stud! :)

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 04 August 2023, 09:17:10 AM »
Well I've stripped out the servo pipe and confirmed the cause of the lean running codes.  A new pipe is due tomorrow.

A thermostat should arrive at the same time.  So I'll change that as a precaution as well.

It's actually the spigot on the non-return valve itself that's fractured, not the pipe.  If the engine had been cold, and I'd had the opportunity, I could have glued it up to get me home.

That pipe can be a right pain. It's popped out of the push fit on the manifold on mine several times and generally caused the car to stall. It's currently held in place with cable ties until I can get a replacement fitted.