Author Topic: More fun: Right-side carrier bracket  (Read 3041 times)

millster

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
More fun: Right-side carrier bracket
« on: 23 June 2012, 08:03:12 PM »
Good day, all!
Are you tired of hearing from me yet?  I'm getting tired of having to solve more problems with this ruddy car, I can tell you that much.
I was replacing my serpentine belt which had become ridiculously stretched, most likely due to the previous owner having replaced it with a belt that was FAR too narrow.  I could let loose in a string of profanity here about my feelings toward the previous owner and his "flawless" maintenance, but I'll keep this innocent.
I just happened to look upward into the wheel cavity a bit to see how hard it will really be to replace my sump when the proper one comes in (not so bad) and noticed the sickening sight of raw, jagged aluminium.  Needless to say I've found my wonky motor mount and it wasn't an actual mount at all. 

My question is two-fold.  One, has anyone replaced this and how much fun am I in for?  It looks fairly straight-forward, remove the block mounting bolts, split the inner CV and remove the stud at the rear motor mount.  Does this seem about right?  As memory serves, having just removed the gearbox a short while back, the CV end of the intermediate shaft is splined so I should not need to pull the box again.
Second... is anyone in the process of breaking a 9000 with a manual who might have this bit lying about?  I can get a new one, obviously, but with everything I'm throwing at this monstrosity I'd like to save a bit if I can.

Thanks for reading, any help that can be offered and any advice you can give on how to save my relationship with my 9000 in this time of strain.  ;D  Actually, I think I'll be back in love with it just as soon as it decides to behave.

Paul @ Kippen

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
Re: More fun: Right-side carrier bracket
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2012, 09:40:02 AM »
millster,

It's a while since I looked in this area but my memories are that the engine mount retaining nut is REALLY tight and space is a bit limited to get decent purchase on it.  Also the intermediate shaft end bearing carrier gets in the way so will probably have to come out as well.  The shaft is splined at both ends so no need to move the 'box. 

To release the inner 'spider' joint, you need to unbolt the track control arm ball joint at the bottom of the strut to allow you to swing it out thus allowing the joint to come apart.  Have a couple of poly bags and some cable ties handy to wrap the end of the shaft and the 'socket' to prevent contamination.

PAul @ Kippen.