Author Topic: MOT fail - seat belt anchorage (sill) area, rear suspension mounting area  (Read 21311 times)

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
Good one, Audax.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
My 1968 mini cooper 1275 didn't lol!!!!!!

That went like brown stuff off a shovel but could only manage 24mpg when it did which is why it had to have twin tanks! Mind you it was bored out to 1360 with twin, twin choke webbers operated by a vacuum pump!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
 Was that the upgrade with the Triumph pistons?  I was offered that by Ripspeed back in the 80's but I baulked at the thought of only 30 thou of metal between the middle two cylinders!! :o
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile

Does it still exist though or was it turned into baked bean tins many years ago? When you look at how many computers the majority of cars have on the road you can see why I like the new stuff :)

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
Apparently by 2021 they'll be nothing but computer and we'll all just be passengers. 'Thank you for your input, it's no longer required'

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
Apparently by 2021 they'll be nothing but computer and we'll all just be passengers. 'Thank you for your input, it's no longer required'

Given how often I see drivers using their phone while driving and not paying any attention to the road I'm reasonably convinced that a computer will be very likely to be able to a better job than a significant number of people out there today as they already don't give my input. I'm really happy as we've just moved office and I now commute to work by walking which I'm very grateful for as I only lived 12 miles from the old office and the entire trip was along a dual carriageway but every week my commute was disrupted at least once due to an accident and very frequently 2 or 3 times!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Many years ago someone said that if cars had been developed at the same rate as computers, the average car would be half an inch long, seat 50 people in comfort, a range of 2000 miles, have a top speed of 300mph and a 0-60 time of half a second!! :)
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

weetabixface

• SST paid up supporter
  • Vector
  • Number of thanks: 0
  • '58 9-5 Aero Estate
    • View Profile
Many years ago someone said that if cars had been developed at the same rate as computers, the average car would be half an inch long, seat 50 people in comfort, a range of 2000 miles, have a top speed of 300mph and a 0-60 time of half a second!! :)

but you would need to buy a new one each time they repainted the lines on the road

W

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile

Does it still exist though or was it turned into baked bean tins many years ago? When you look at how many computers the majority of cars have on the road you can see why I like the new stuff :)

Sadly no it doesn't but through no fault of it's own apart from it's power - I sold it to an airman off Lakenheath base when I moved away from home to work in London (late 70's). I had told him never to accelerate into a corner but only when exiting, or car would take over - unfortunately 3 months later he ignored this and planted it at very high speed into a massive oak tree on a corner - sadly he died instantly but stupidly he hadn't sent off log book change of owner so my mother had police call on her to check for my ID. Thanksfully she could tell them everything - tragic accident.

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
stupidly he hadn't sent off log book change of owner

Did the rules change at some point? It's the seller's responsibility to send the change of ownership part of the V5 now.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
Sadly no it doesn't but through no fault of it's own apart from it's power - I sold it to an airman off Lakenheath base when I moved away from home to work in London (late 70's). I had told him never to accelerate into a corner but only when exiting, or car would take over

Poor guy couldn't have been a nice way to go. I had a friend with a classic mini and he would do stupidly dangerous things in it, after a while I refused to get in it with him, when he did crash it a few months later he was lucky as he somehow missed hitting anything solid but still lost a finger. Really does make me glad that modern cars do have ESP fitted and have much more significant amounts of metal around you.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
stupidly he hadn't sent off log book change of owner

Did the rules change at some point? It's the seller's responsibility to send the change of ownership part of the V5 now.

Long time ago now but wasn't called V5 then but log book. I seem to remember buyer often sent it off normally after new owner signed it.

Yeh very sad but car was a real handful if you didn't know how to deal with it. I cannot remember exactly which engine it was but it started as 1275 and I think was a long stroke which is why bored to 1360 was ok and would rev round to 9k. It had a specially worked head with high lift racing cam and manifold with 2.5 inch exhaust. 2 twin choke Weber which could be single or pull vacuum pipe (the old heater control wire) and bring in second carb. Jack knight racing crash gearbox with a racing clutch and more dials then a jet airliner. Discs all round and twin tanks. flame orange, cobra super slot wheels, 2 cibi spotlights (needed for fast nighttime driving), webesto roof and wood and pickett interior. Previous owner had spent thousands on it and I paid a lot for it with dad's help. I had an old chap in my village who used to work in the cooper works and he used to service it ever 3k and kept it on top form. It was fast, very very fast and superb to drive once you knew how to drive it!!!! Corbuea racing seats with harness held you in place.

It would do a ton but only once as scary as hell it was mainly though a 'hit in the back' machine and I reckon would still give some modern supercars a run for money to 60; remember the first time you got the kick in the back from you tuned Saab? Double that excitement and that's what I had for 3 years. Arm and leg to run but I was young then.