Author Topic: Speakers, CD changer et al  (Read 12228 times)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Speakers, CD changer et al
« Reply #15 on: 17 January 2018, 10:30:33 AM »
The second aerial amp to allow use of the other rear side window, is rare and expensive. Called the ”Diversity Kit”.  On the 9-5 it was cheaper to abandon those aerials and replace with a roof aerial in place of the shark fin.  I did it in conjunction with adding the DAB radio.

An aerial for AM/FM/GPS/GSM/DAB from Blaupunkt was the same price as the diversity kit, or about the price of a new GPS shark fin from Saab. The shark fin was beginning to degrade, so all in all a complete new aerial seemed the sensible way to go.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

weetabixface

• SST paid up supporter
  • Vector
  • Number of thanks: 0
  • '58 9-5 Aero Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 January 2018, 12:26:17 PM »
I managed to pick up the diversity kit from eBay for 30GBP, I just set a search running for the part numbers from the EPC and set it to send out mail alerts for new listings, one eventually appeared

actually there's a couple listed at the moment

W

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 January 2018, 01:52:53 PM »
Thanks Will but I did expect mine to also go through the GPS Shark fin as I have the Sat Nav system.

Weetabix - I'll have a look

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 January 2018, 02:02:13 PM »
Hmmm... various  numbers for 03-07 but mines a 58 reg 2009 model so part number would be good Will when your home - no hurry :)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 January 2018, 02:48:26 PM »
Jim, the boot amp comment was for Steve McF!!

If you need the aerial amp...

Right hand (the one you have I think, 12792122 about £250
Left hand (if you already have both sides connected) 12792123 not sure this is current price about £125

The "kit" for adding the second aerial amp on the left: 32025554. About £250

The shark only does the GPS and the old carphone kit aerial - only needed before modern bluetooth handsets.

I can't help with the aerial amplifier earth.  I think there's a possible error in the Saab manual.

Both the saloon and the estate have the aerial amplifier.  The saloon puts it behind the trim on the rear pillar.  The manual says it sits under the rear side window.

The saloon diagram shows a power feed, earth and the aerial return to the head unit.  The earth is shared with the heated rear screen.

The estate diagram shows the same power feed.  It shows the aerial connection back to the head unit, but no earth.  So i don't know where the earthing point is.  It's possible that the aerial amp is earthed via its mounting bolts.  But the earth on the estate for the heated rear window is a bolt that is on the body of the car, not far from the aerial amp...  The manual does not list the amp as being connected to it though.  But who knows!!

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 January 2018, 03:07:25 PM »
The boot amp for the 13 speaker audio is part no: 12757371

I can't find any separate wiring kit, but the accessories catalogue has a picture of the upgrade kit, and that shows amp and speakers only  Pt No: 12787154

But they all say that you need the mounting box.  Pt No: 12801651, plus loads of nuts and bolts and brackets...

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 January 2018, 07:45:31 PM »
Thanks Will

That's put cat among pigeons then!! I'll try and trace back the earth wire and see if it's corroded or loose; might help I suppose.

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 January 2018, 05:59:05 PM »
Is the in-dash 6 CD changer a straight swap for the single CD player, or does it require Tech2 to get it working?

I read somewhere (probably on a seller's listing) that these in dash CD players and changers were unreliable. Is this the case?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 January 2018, 11:01:30 PM »
They aren't the most robust, but the changer in our 2003 Vector was OK for the 12 years we had it.

They may not need a Tech2 if the come from an identical car, but you can't rely on it.

aerojon

• Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 January 2018, 02:01:39 AM »
which is your dash..

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 21 January 2018, 10:15:03 AM »
The first one - 03 - 06MY

aerojon

• Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 January 2018, 06:16:56 PM »
OK..the reason I asked was in 06 saab put the facelift dash in but stayed with earlier body trim..

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21 January 2018, 06:38:14 PM »
Hi Jon, yes this must be one of the last 9-3s with the original dash. Although I have seen 56 platers with the new dash, but also 07 platers with the earlier dash, so there must have been some left over stock. Will have to check the V5 but I think mine is an August 06 car?

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21 January 2018, 08:38:55 PM »
OK..the reason I asked was in 06 saab put the facelift dash in but stayed with earlier body trim..

The facelift dash was introduced with the MY07 cars, MY03-MY06 were the button type. One reason I wanted an MY07 Aero is that I prefer the old body shape but wanted the newer interior as I really don't like the old interior very much and given I have to look at it more than the outside of the car it made sense to look for it.

The reason you see 07 registered cars with the old dash is that there were lots of old stock cars that were only registered in the next year.

I think that Saab would start building cars for the next model year in September. So an August 2006 car would be MY06 and a September 2006 car would be MY07.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21 January 2018, 09:11:07 PM »
They started earlier when the model changed completely!! ;)

Our 2003 9-3 was the dealer demonstrator at launch.  Built August 2002 and registered September.

The actual month of build is written up the side of the VIN label on the sill in the door shut

This is the other car - the 2007 model 9-5