Author Topic: Starting issue - ignition switch  (Read 2483 times)

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
Starting issue - ignition switch
« on: 16 October 2020, 08:29:12 PM »
It's turning into a bit of an "oh what next!' few months..

Once I mentioned this to the Mrs it seems it's been happening quite regularly since I took the cylinder out and cleaned it. But I think it has happened occasionally prior to that.
Turn the key to on and all seems normal, turn to start and the engine doesn't turn over, no sign of any life. Hold the key in start and it will eventually turn over and start normally.

I'm assuming it's the ignition switch acting up rather than the cylinder but could the action of the cylinder cause the switch not to function in this way?
I lubed the cylinder with white lithium grease spray, which should have quickly solidified. So I don't believe that would have contaminated the switch.

Also is there any way of cleaning the switch without removing it and taking it apart?
Especially on the manual, removal of the switch looks like a total pain in the ar5e..

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Starting issue - ignition switch
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2020, 08:51:01 PM »
I've seen someone remove the ignition switch and it takes a while.  But The ignition switch failures seem to be contacts coming loose rather than just needing a clean.  You can get a new switch and keep your old barrel, so the key remains the same. 

Are you happy with the lithium grease?  I was always taught to clean all locks and not use oil or grease because that causes dust to stick to it.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2020, 09:32:53 PM »
I phoned Bill today and the price of a new switch is slightly eye watering. So I'm either looking at trying to repair mine or try and find a decent salvaged one. Regardless I'll be living with it unit it becomes unworkable. It's a huge job to remove it.

Once I'd cleaned the cylinder out it ran very rough. Possibly still some dirt in there but it wasn't for shifting. I had to work the key in it with lithium until it ran smooth. All I can say is it currently working nicely and pops back up as it should when the key comes out. I'm sure a graphite lube would have been preferable but I didn't have nay to hand.

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2020, 09:58:54 PM »
I didn't dismantle the whole cylinder like this guy does. I'm guessing I have a lot of muck still inside the barrel..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrejkaVKKvk

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2020, 10:20:54 PM »
Think I must have pulled the wrong part number off the EPC. It's 4943692 which is £160 on Bill's website.
If it comes to it, I can swallow that price..

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 October 2020, 11:52:46 PM »
I have found electrical contact cleaner to be good for the barrels as well.

If you can get the barrel out I think you should be able to start the car with a screwdriver, at least that's what I did with the 9000 (key in sensor of course)

At least that will narrow down the problem. Bit of electrical contact cleaner may also do the job on the switch, but I haven't had a 9-5 one apart
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD