Author Topic: Soft Top Cleaning and Protecting  (Read 3197 times)

SK Saab 93

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 1
  • Saab 93 Vector Convertible 1.9TiD / 150BHP / 2006
    • View Profile
Soft Top Cleaning and Protecting
« on: 03 October 2014, 08:41:17 AM »
Picked up my Saab a week ago, and roof was in quite a bad condition, lots of green algae and white spots all over. Used Autoglym to clean/wash twice and then reproof, after one coat of proofer its started to bead   (but not loads) - I want to make sure the roof is ready for the winter so just bought Fabsil, anyone had any good result with this?

I'll be applying this directly over the Autoglym proofer (please let me know if this fine, or should I rewash roof and start again?)

Thanks

AL900S

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 2
  • MY07 9-3 SC vector
    • View Profile
Re: Soft Top Cleaning and Protecting
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2014, 11:32:36 PM »
Hi Fabsil is a favourite on another Saab forum and people swear by it. Needs applying to a dry roof not wet like the AG stuff. I just apply 2 coats of the AG proofer but with a 2 inch paintbrush lol - that way you can work it in and you don't get loads of it over the bodywork. Lasts through the year. Also carry a bottle of sparking water in the boot with a microfibre to remove bird shit - the sparkling water draws the lime out and leave the hood as good as new!

Al

SK Saab 93

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 1
  • Saab 93 Vector Convertible 1.9TiD / 150BHP / 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2014, 07:43:30 AM »
HI Al, I retreated my roof on the weekend, and this time, I decided to try the following procedure (This is the 2nd treatment in a week)

Wet roof with hot water using watering can
Spray the AG cleaner all over and scrub using the sponge provided in the kit
Let it dwell for 5 mins
Rinse off with cold water with hose pipe
And once all suds had gone, I did a final rinse using very hot water again.

I masked off all glass and some body work
Applied the AG proofer all over, had plenty in one bottle to ensure the roof was covered twice.
About 6 hours later I decided I could not wait for rain to see the results so went out with a water bottle

Wow the result on this occasion were fantastic! I was amazed just how well the water beaded. So 2 coats work! I will however try brushing on my next treatment, but placed my order for Fabsil last week, and if the weather holds out, I may give it a 3rd treatment with Fabsil.
Do you think I'll be okay to apply the Fabsil directly onto roof, or suggest I rewash the fabric hood first with AG cleaner?

I highly recommend Autoglym cleaner and fabric roof proofer! and ensure you treat at least twice.
Al, when you paint the AG proofer, do you cover the entire hood with just one bottle? My perception is that painting on with use more product?

AL900S

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 2
  • MY07 9-3 SC vector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 October 2014, 04:46:48 PM »
Hi - sorry for late reply. Yes one bottle of AG prppfer will do the roof twice. Re the fabsil, I don't think you need to re-shampoo. Since it's beading well, maybe wait until spring and do the AG shampoo and then fabril on the roof when dry?

Al

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2014, 06:26:20 PM »
I favour the good old fashioned Renovo stuff.
It's worked well and was manufacturer recommended but it's fairly labour intensive. it also stains paint a bit so a lot of time was spent masking up which is a real pain - but I imagine that to be the same for other brands?