Author Topic: Anyone changed the brushes on the heater blower motor?  (Read 2990 times)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Anyone changed the brushes on the heater blower motor?
« on: 24 March 2020, 10:08:51 PM »
These brushes...

I have new ones and they are the right size, but I can't see a non-destructive way of removing the old and connecting the new.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone changed the brushes on the heater blower motor?
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2020, 05:06:55 PM »
I haven't done that, but are the brush tails just soldered onto the connector ?

In which case it's a bit of solder sucker to remove and then remake the connection
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2020, 06:39:11 PM »
I've just finished trying to solder the the tails of the new brushes onto the ends.  And failed... :(

The originals are spark welded on.  They pulled off easily.  I've tinned the two ends, but my soldering iron is not powerful enough to melt the new connection properly or quickly.  I've held it on with a "soldered joint", but it's one of those that may just be a tack and I'm not happy with it.  The length of time I heated it meant that the plastic housing is melting.  I'll have another go tomorrow, ut I'm inclined to get a new motor.  Even after oiling the spindles it doesn't feel really smooth. 
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2020, 06:54:35 PM »
Hmm, yes I have seen that type of arrangement before and understand what you mean.

Do you have a butane soldering iron as well - that might get heat in there more quickly ?
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 March 2020, 07:16:45 PM »
I do have butane, but one of the ends is quite tight up against the plastic. Not confident.  With hindsight, I should have cut the braid and soldered the new braid to that. We live and learn.  The motor end is just a straight spigot of some thick copper wire.  That goes to a small coil with a solid core.  I think the heat sink is too great.

I tried to order a new motor from eBay, but paypal seems to be having problems

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2020, 08:39:22 AM »
Modern lead free solder doesn't help due to it's higher melting point either.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2020, 10:17:04 AM »
I noticed that, but found some old solder!  My hoarding knows no bounds!! :)

Once cleaned up, I will try binding the two together with some thin copper wire before soldering, but access is difficult.  I did try to take the motor out of the plastic frame, but it's stuck...

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 March 2020, 12:07:22 PM »
I noticed that, but found some old solder!  My hoarding knows no bounds!!

Thought so, that's why I mentioned it  ;D  A great example of negative progress, more difficult to use and to what purpose, I'm not aware that solder vents lead into the air or the water courses to any significant extent. You can still get leaded solder from plumbers merchants, with the warning that it is not to be used on potable systems. Tends to be a bit thick for electronics work though.

If joining the braid, then I suggest flowing solder onto the braid first and then joining.

If you are just onto a heat sink then get some solder onto the heat sink first, then try soldering onto the blob

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2020, 05:12:22 PM »
I've managed to get the brushes soldered on!! :)

But they seem to be too long, by about 2mm.  The spring behind them is coil bound and I can't get the retaining clip on.  I will have to grind off a bit of the curved end.  That will show if my old proof filing skills are still there.  I don't have a grind wheel and it would probably be too fierce for carbon anyway.  I did the second brush connection as a "braid to braid" connection. It's untidy, but it will be OK - I hope.

I now have another problem.  I couldn't get the new Pioneer radio I fitted before Christmas to work on FM.  No stations found.  I bought it from Halfords.  I took it back for a check and the fitter tried another Pioneer, which also had no FM showing. He said it was a bad aerial.  I didn't believe him because it was the same aerial that was working fine on the Kenwood.  Anyway I checked everything, And he was right. Headiling dropped.  Full continuity all the way on all wires from radio to the aerial connectors. Then there was nothing between the 12v in on the aerial and the earth.  I unscrewed the cover plate and the inside was wet and the circuit board corroded. :(   It has been on for a month short of 9 years though. 

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2020, 05:21:24 PM »
Good lick with the filing, if you have a half round file it shouldn't be too difficult. It's not a good feeling removing all that life from new brushes though is it.

Are you using the shark tooth for FM signal, rather than the ones in the rear window side glass ?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 March 2020, 05:39:05 PM »
Yes, I bought a Blaupunkt FM/AM/GSM/GPS/DAB roof aerial when I installed the add-on DAB unit.  The DAB unit was unsightly and my wife complained that it got in her way. A couple of years later I bought the Kenwood.  That was not a good choice.  Not well developed and had too many glitches.  When it failed regularly, I got the Pioneer.

This is the one that I've just removed...

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2020, 10:01:57 PM »
So is it just a case of sourcing another all in one aerial then ?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 March 2020, 10:58:37 PM »
I hope so.  That's what I've ordered.  This one doesn't have a GPS.  I've found one from DabOnWheels that has the same Fakra connectors, so it should be plug and play.

It has a smaller base, so it won't cover the paint damage that I discovered underneath the old one...

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 March 2020, 02:24:58 PM »
Well, I chickened out in the end and fitted a new blower.  I need the car roadworthy by the weekend, just in case.  Ordered the blower yesterday evening and it arrived at 9am. :)

But it's all done, and I can look at fixing the old blower without rushing.  Just got to put the wiper arms on.  If I find my black paint, they will get a coat!