Author Topic: Roof box/bag  (Read 3292 times)

weetabixface

• SST paid up supporter
  • Vector
  • Number of thanks: 0
  • '58 9-5 Aero Estate
    • View Profile
Roof box/bag
« on: 29 April 2019, 09:58:00 AM »
Hi all

looking for folks thoughts on options for roof boxes or bags  - I already have a set of bars.

I have a 9-5 estate which swallows a ridiculous amount of gear for camping trips, a trip we have planned for this summer we will have an extra passenger so smaller load space and extra luggage. As a result I am considering options for a roof box for light but bulky items such and folding chairs/bedding etc. Obviously with a box long term storage of the thing then becomes the next headache, I do not have a garage and my shed is already bursting at the seems, so a bag could be a viable alternative provided it is weather proof.

If any of you use a box or bag with your SAAB than seeking your opinions

thanks in advance

W

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Roof box/bag
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2019, 02:41:31 PM »
I was in this situation a couple of years ago.  We weren't going camping but we had four adults in the car.  I looked at various options.  Roofbox.  Trailer. Towbar box. Etc.  But I already had a towbar.

In the end we managed to keep everything inside the car, but we travelled with the rear parcel shelf removed.  I fitted the Saab steel "dog guard" so that the back could be safely filled to the roof, if necessary.

My shed is also full, but a towbar box would have been stored in the house afterwards and used for basic storage and maybe a seat.   https://www.roofbox.co.uk/tow-bar-boxes/  Some of these will tilt down to allow the tailgate to open.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

weetabixface

• SST paid up supporter
  • Vector
  • Number of thanks: 0
  • '58 9-5 Aero Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Roof box/bag
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2019, 03:09:27 PM »

my number one preference would be to take less stuff and get it all into the boot of the car and use the split folding seat for the rear passengers, alas I do not think that will work for everyone in the party travelling lighter than normal.

I do not (currently) have a tow bar so rear mounted option is open to me

W