Author Topic: Shark Fin Antenna  (Read 20187 times)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Shark Fin Antenna
« Reply #15 on: 30 June 2011, 09:53:29 PM »
Ours is OK.  I did notice that when I tightened it up hard, the edges of the rubber base curled up, so I slackened it off.  Overtightening can be a problem on some types of rubber seal, something I learnt after many, many, years in the water industry!!

However, I expect to find a leak soon.  The rubber seal around the base is poor quality and has started to crack!  ::)
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

phil-saab

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 July 2011, 06:27:39 AM »
I had one of the non-genuine shark fin aerials like sgould posted, it leaked water into the headlining which would pour onto the rear parcel shelf. If you do use one of them then I'd probably use some sealant around the gasket, just in case.

Good advice there,  genuine or not i dont think it will hurt to have a small amount of sealant to ensure you dont have to drop the headlining again.  Done mine a few weeks back and suprisingly the one from my year 2000 car was in good nick so i painted it silver and put it on my year 2002 car which had completely fell apart!!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 July 2011, 08:06:41 AM »
The problem with sealant is that it has a thickness.  If used excessively it will lift the item off the surface and prevent the real seal from seating properly.  Often all that's needed is a smear of lubricant to help the seal seat properly.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

nine-fiver

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 30
  • Hirsched
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 July 2011, 11:51:02 AM »
Still, a superior look to the cracked rubber mess that your eye just can't not look at every time you get in!

Nice pics SG. Ta.

Martin

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 July 2011, 01:27:50 PM »
My original sharkfin (dummy) is cracking badly and a lot of the lower rubber has come off. What's underneath does not look too bad (shiny black plastic) so is it possible to remove the rest of it and just leave it like that? What does it look like when the rubber is removed?

phil-saab

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 July 2011, 08:51:10 AM »
The problem with sealant is that it has a thickness.  If used excessively it will lift the item off the surface and prevent the real seal from seating properly.  Often all that's needed is a smear of lubricant to help the seal seat properly.

I see where you're coming from and completly concur fella,  the amount of sealant we used was literally wafer thin. ;)

slimfastshady

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 July 2011, 09:12:11 PM »
i had my dummy shark fin replaced by saab indy garage for £90 fitted, couldnt risk damaging the headlining

Martin

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 July 2011, 02:50:15 PM »
If all the outer rubber casing comes off what does it look like? Can I clean it up and leave it for the time being as I don't want to change it just now. Would I need to run a bead of sealant around the edge?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 July 2011, 05:32:17 PM »
The later ones are a different design.

The one I removed from the 2002 9-3 had an O ring type seal set into the base halfway from the hole to the edge.  This one had the rotten rubber surface that peeled off.  It's sort of white plastic underneath.

The one removed from the 2007 9-5 seals around the edge.  The body is beginning to corrode, so I assume that it's not rubber but painted metal. At least at the bottom part.