Author Topic: Review your classic Saab 9-5 (M98-10)  (Read 83346 times)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Review your classic Saab 9-5 (M98-10)
« Reply #45 on: 23 October 2012, 07:19:17 PM »
Hi, according to the howmanyleft website there was 170 9-5's registered in 1997, the previous owner said he bought it as an ex demo with 4k on it.  A good few motor factor places when phoned say "what year is it"   a 1997 I reply... can't be they say didn't make them till 98... must be a 9000  lolz.

Technically the motor factors are right, there is no such thing as a 1997 model 9-5 ;D

Saab started selling the 9-5 for the 1998 model year which starts a good bit before January 1998, so although the cars were registered in 1997 they are model year 1998 cars, you just have to love people who work in marketing.  ::)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #46 on: 23 October 2012, 11:39:08 PM »
Saab like all manufacturers start making their "next year's models" in the autumn of the year before.  And then start selling them straight away.

Our 9-3 Sports Saloon was built in August 2002 and registered soon afterwards as a dealer demonstrator.  But it's a 2003 car!!

If you look on your VIN number in the windscreen, you will find that the 10th digit is a W for 1998.  And if you find the actual VIN Plate under the bonnet, it should give the actual month of manufacture, as well as the factory suspension spec.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 24 October 2012, 08:13:04 AM »
Some cars hung around in stock too, mine is a 2002 model but was registered on the 1st March 2003 (it was carefully ordered with a big discount 2 weeks before the 1st March) so it has an 03 plate. Even then the plates are not aligned with the year as you get 03 plates being issued on the 1st March 2003 and then being 53 from September until March 2004 so cars registered from 1st January to 1st March would still be showing as a 52 plate.

angler

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 24 October 2012, 09:14:23 AM »
Ah I see, I will check out those suspension code also, seems a touch lower than another around the corner. I need a trolley jack just to be able to get to the sump bolt easily but took a turbo off for a UKS member the other week and slid under that S plate easily ( I'm slim).
Cheers for the info.
Ian

Edit: under the Vin the spec plate shows AR - BH - - - J - - C -
« Last Edit: 24 October 2012, 10:22:45 AM by angler »

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 24 October 2012, 12:04:45 PM »
You also get the opposite on Reg.

My 9-5 2.2TiD Vector Sport Est is 55 Reg Late Sept 2005 but is a 2005 model as it was last of facelift 9-5's before Dame Edna front end so not a 2006 model.

mikeloadsasaabs

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 23
  • Was 9-5 Aero auto estate with Maptun Stage 1
    • View Profile
200,000 mile report, 9-5 Aero auto estate
« Reply #50 on: 20 October 2013, 11:36:57 AM »
Finally got there at around 11:45pm yesterday!

Not a very exciting report really, because this has been one of the best cars we've owned. We bought it around April 2007 at c.71,000 miles, as we were buying a flat in Austria and knew that not only would we be frequently plying the autobahns (SWMBO doesn't do flying  ::)), but also needed a load carrier. Annual average around 20,000, but it has been as high as 24,000 and is now around 17,000.

First job was to Hirsch the suspension in May 2007. The shocks we had fitted are still in action at the front, but I was disappointed that the rears failed (oil leak) about 63,000 miles after being fitted, so it's on the second set. No problems with the springs.

A little later came the Maptun Stage 1- 265bhp (from 250) and 420Nm (up from 350). Fuel consumption then, as now, is 27mpg in day-to-day driving, 33mpg on a run. Only once or twice have I seen more. It doesn't seem to make a great deal of difference whether we cruise at 70mph or 100mph.

Oil and filter have been religiously changed at 6,000 mile intervals, originally Mobil 10W30, now Shell Helix Ultra 5W/40.Uses a bit of oil between changes, but doesn't visibly smoke. New PFR6H-10 plugs have been fitted every year in August (a habit I got into as part of pre-summer holiday prep). The auto trans oil was changed most recently at 150,000, but it's still a good colour. It has never entered a garage for a service since I bought it six years and 130,000 miles ago, which has kept the total cost of ownership down.

Most of the hardware is original. It had a new power steering pump under warranty in the first few months of ownership to cure a noise (which it didn't but seems to have disappeared). The front discs have been changed twice, most recently about 20,000 miles, but are as yet showing absolutely no signs of wear. The rear discs and pads were changed at around 140,000 and a couple of weeks ago, along with the handbrake shoes (see post on recent saga). New ball joint and track rod in 2010. Second-hand steering rack in 2011 due to rust getting into the original (I believe this was caused by a cable tie being used as a gaiter seal after the new track rod was fitted, but can't prove anything). This was a challenge in itself, being a RHD car and living in a LHD country  ;D . Just before we moved to Austria in 2009, it had a good going over by Saabtech (great people) who replaced the auxiliary belt, power steering pipe, and the auto gearshift cable. In 2011 the electrical bits on the ignition switch failed meaning a new unit.

Lastly, I had a DI fail in January this year, quickly sorted and replaced by a new unit - luckily I had a spare.

Bodywise, holding up fairly well. A few odd scratches and a very scruffy front spoiler. A few bubbles of rust around the rear wheel arches. I managed to reverse into a rather large garage sign a couple of weeks ago which has displaced the bumper trim where it wraps around under the rear lights. Interior still smart, with ventilated leather seats which have a lost a little of the colour in places, but no sagging or tears. It's got all the toys, and the only thing that doesn't work fully is the passenger side folding wing mirror, which sometimes needs a little encouragement.

The only persistent problem is the dreaded rear tyre droning, which has always been there and no doubt always will be, a bit like income tax  >:( The current summer Michelin Primacy 3s seem to be better, and the winters (Michelin Alpin PA4s) haven't developed it in around 10,000 miles, so perhaps I'm on to something. As an aside, I use 225/45 17s in a 94W load/speed rating for the summers, and 205/55 in 16s at 94H in the winter. Ride doesn't change on either, the only really noticeable difference is lighter steering on the winters.

So all in all a great experience. Never broken down on us apart from the DI, and since that was only 250 yards from home I can't grumble. It's cruised for hours at 100mph. It still bowls along very smoothly. It's lived the last four years in Austria, meaning salty, snowy roads for extended periods. I have just bought a brand new set of 16" genuine alloys from Turners Hill Garage (another great place, I get most of my spares from them) due to sealing problems on the ratty old ones used for the winter tyres, which are sitting with my parents waiting for us to arrive next week. I'm currently running the winters, so they'll be swapped while we're in the UK.

I like to think this is one in the eye for all the teeth-sucking, doom and gloom merchants who criticize Saab at the drop of a hat.  :P

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
Re: 200,000 mile report, 9-5 Aero auto estate
« Reply #51 on: 20 October 2013, 11:49:58 AM »
I like to think this is one in the eye for all the teeth-sucking, doom and gloom merchants who criticize Saab at the drop of a hat.  :P

Good to hear it's been such a good ride for you. Have you ever dropped the sump on this car or is it an 04- version? I keep thinking about changing my 9-5 (2.0t auto at 153k now) for a later Aero with lower miles with a plan to keep for longer but my current 9-5 is good, it did need a turbo after a sump-drop (but in reality that was preventative maintenance and didn't cost me anything) and has had DI, CPS, Lambda and temp sensors (all done because as preventative maintenance seeing if it made a difference to fuel consumption). Currently I've put new suspension on the back and it has newish discs and pads all round and got a set of 4 new tyres this year. The only other thing I've got right now is a service theft alarm message which I suspect is batteries (although removing the alarm box shows it has been replaced with a brand new one at some point) but I've held off as I can't make my mind up. Of course knowing that my car (and it's a good one) has at least another 50k in it and more it's hard to think about changing.

So, do I get a set of cleaned and serviced injectors and get this car tuned and fix the alarm siren (looking at probably £300 for that lot if DIY tuning with t7suite or £600 if I Hirsch it). One other reason I want an Aero is I want one with the later body kit and some extra toys but a 2.0t with tuning will be more than fast enough. Also I keep thinking that if I keep this for longer it gets me closer to getting a 9-3 Turbo X estate but then I worry about parts availability for the T-X by the time I can afford one.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 20 October 2013, 12:05:51 PM »
Great story Mike.  Glad you made it to the mark. :)

Once a car gets to that mileage, I feel that it's just a case of keeping it until it falls apart, and putting any savings from not changing in the bank against the day you need a new car - probably in a hurry. So just look at the options for change and be ready when the time comes.

I will post my speedo picture soon.  It won't be as much as yours, but it will be "quirky" if I can actually find somewhere to stop and take it.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

mikeloadsasaabs

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 20 October 2013, 04:33:23 PM »
Good to hear it's been such a good ride for you. Have you ever dropped the sump on this car or is it an 04- version?

The only other thing I've got right now is a service theft alarm message which I suspect is batteries (although removing the alarm box shows it has been replaced with a brand new one at some point) but I've held off as I can't make my mind up.
No, sump has never been dropped, at least since I've had it. I did omit to mention that it was first registered in September 2003, but is a 2004 model.

Glad you mentioned the theft alarm. I forgot to mention that I had the same issue last year, and replaced the alarm unit with a reconditioned one. It didn't turn off the "service theft alarm" message, and the (UK) Saab dealer that looked at it told me it was the tilt sensor. I couldn't be faffed to fix it, nor did I want to spend more money on it, so I got them to turn the alarm off with Tech-II. So no-one knows that it's not actually alarmed! In any case, living in Austria and driving a RHD car makes it even lower risk  ;D

mikeloadsasaabs

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 20 October 2013, 04:47:05 PM »
Once a car gets to that mileage, I feel that it's just a case of keeping it until it falls apart, and putting any savings from not changing in the bank against the day you need a new car - probably in a hurry. So just look at the options for change and be ready when the time comes.
That's how I feel - the fact that it's not depreciating like a stone as a newer car would makes up for the 27mpg.

I constantly research the options tbh, but there are important decisions to be made - petrol/diesel, auto/manual, LHD/RHD. It will more than likely be an estate. Current thinking leans towards petrol, but perhaps diesel. Auto, but with a proper torque convertor auto e.g. Mazda 6. Although I do fancy something a bit less common, e.g. Honda Accord tourer, but the type S with the more powerful (diesel) engine only comes in a manual  ::). Perhaps a Skoda Superb 170 (diesel) estate. Peugeot 508SW? Ford S-Max (but don't need a people carrier). The new Golf 150 (diesel) estate appeals with its balance of space (more than the 9-5), economy (well over 50mpg should be achievable), and performance (a torquey 2-litre diesel with 9 secs to 60). One thing is for sure, we need something, like the Aero, that is good to drive and has plenty of urge  8). Money considerations aside, an Audi A6 Avant with the 3.0TDi quattro option would, I reckon, be nigh on perfect  :P

The bigger question is whether to switch to LHD while we still have our marbles. Having read about oldies who disastrously switch from manuals to autos late in life because they think they will be easier, which turns out not to be the case, we're thinking that perhaps we should make the switch sooner rather than later.
« Last Edit: 20 October 2013, 04:50:34 PM by mikeloadsasaabs »

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 20 October 2013, 07:20:57 PM »
Glad you mentioned the theft alarm. I forgot to mention that I had the same issue last year, and replaced the alarm unit with a reconditioned one. It didn't turn off the "service theft alarm" message, and the (UK) Saab dealer that looked at it told me it was the tilt sensor. I couldn't be faffed to fix it, nor did I want to spend more money on it, so I got them to turn the alarm off with Tech-II. So no-one knows that it's not actually alarmed! In any case, living in Austria and driving a RHD car makes it even lower risk  ;D

Did they actually turn of the entire alarm system? You can set it so that the alarm system works but without the tilt sensor. That's what I keep wondering right now, replace batteries and hope or get it on Tech-II to get the codes read (I'm not used to having to get people to do things for me!) but then I get stuck by the indecision to spend the money as I keep thinking £50 to recon the siren is quite a bit of money compared to just pushing clear on the SID.

jmblack

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 9
  • 2006 2.3t vect est auto & 2009 tid TE est man
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 20 October 2013, 08:24:37 PM »
I just had my tilt sensor disabled (oo-Er missus) rather than a couple of hundred quid to replace...

mikeloadsasaabs

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 21 October 2013, 09:08:46 AM »
Did they actually turn of the entire alarm system? You can set it so that the alarm system works but without the tilt sensor.
Yes, but they didn't suggest just turning off the tilt sensor  ::). They also told me the reconditioned alarm unit was faulty, but I got it from Ebay from someone who came highly recommended on here. As there was some confusion, and I was on one of our lightning visits to the UK, it was easier to shut the whole thing off rather than mess around.

They also told me the tilt sensor was under the front seat and £300+ to replace. IIRC someone on here told me it was part of the alarm unit. I realise I could probably get a second hand replacement cheaper, but, as I said above, it was too much faff. Everyone know a 9-5 has a category 1 Thatcham alarm, right?  ;) We once parked in a forestry car park in mid Wales, the only other car there was a Honda SUV of some type - that was broken into but ours was untouched.....so even the low life know that the Saab is impregnable  ;D

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 21 October 2013, 10:34:30 AM »
Tilt sensor is under the driver's seat.  Last time I looked it up, it was £175.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 21 October 2013, 12:52:50 PM »
Buy wisely Mike......well done for the 200k.

I'm having the odd glitch with the Volvo which seem to be electric gremlins - can't complain on economy and power - 163 hp from diesel 5 and averaging around 45 with 55 on runs but it's not the Saab!!!!!!