Author Topic: Cam cover seal / plug - replacement  (Read 1975 times)

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
Cam cover seal / plug - replacement
« on: 14 June 2019, 06:04:46 PM »
This is more of a how not to do it. ::)

Having swapped an auto engine over into my glacier blue manual car there was a hole in the side of the head where the vacuum pump used to be (or dizzy on older cars).

The part number is 91 35 211 for reference and I bought one here: https://www.saabits.com/all/saab-900-9000-9-3-9-5-cam-cover-plug

Having sourced the bung and looking at the design I concluded that the lip on the outside edge sat in a groove. This was a mistake.

So, next task was to take off the cam cover to get access to the inside and slide it in from there. I was faced with a false cam bearing, secured in place with two security T40 torx bolts. They were very tight, too tight for a 1/4" drive ratchet, at which point I looked in WIS for some instructions, and after finding nothing there went searching on the internet.

After a close look inside the false cam bearing cap I saw there was no groove and it was confirmed that they are just a push in item. which is what I did, using an 18mm socket, see photo.

After that it was a matter of cleaning all the old sealant off the rubber / silicone gasket, putting on some sealant of my own, very thinly and making sure nothing can move to the engine internals, and reassembling. The cover is on hand tight, I'll torque it up tomorrow and that I think is the final job on the job swap.

The head itself looks very clean, though there was a bit of mayonnaise on the rear timing chain gear. Too much time spent on cold startups I assume.

9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Cam cover seal / plug - replacement
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2019, 07:48:45 PM »
The plug seems to be a weak point.  I've seen some aftermarket ones and also ones with a retainer bracket.  But a generous application of sealant seems to work best.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Cam cover seal / plug - replacement
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2019, 08:34:01 PM »
I'm sure the plug will be better than the scrunched up nyrex glove I used to bung the hole until I knew the engine was in & running OK. Mind you, that didn't leak. ;D

I didn't know there were aftermarket ones and, perhaps unwisely, chose not to put any sealant on this one. If the cam cover leaks I may have a second chance....

Has anybody ever "double bunged" the hole, there's plenty of depth
« Last Edit: 14 June 2019, 08:36:40 PM by carrera »
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD