Author Topic: Aircon evaporator  (Read 15727 times)

Petemate

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 2008 9-3 150 Tid Sportwagon Kennington Oxford
    • View Profile
Aircon evaporator
« on: 16 April 2012, 03:51:36 PM »
Anyone changed one of these on a 2006 or similar age 9-3 Tid? Haynes gives a reasonably detailed modus operandi but slightly vague regarding how much, if at all, one needs to remove the whole heater unit to gain access to the evaporator cover for removal. It looks from the pics that one has to draw the heater box back out a bit, as there is mention of disconnecting the hoses.
Ta in hope!
Pete

Petemate

• Aero
    • View Profile
Re: Aircon evaporator
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2012, 03:31:52 AM »
After much research last evening, found this:-

http://www.thesaabsite.com/Saab-Sport-Sedan-Ac-evaporator-replacement.htm

Seems whoever wrote up the ACC component removal sections of Chapter 3 put some of the heater matrix instructions in the evaporator removal section.....lol........seems obvious to me now as the heater matrix appears to need removing to the right and the evaporator from the left.
As it looks relatively easy I am going to chance a guaranteed pressure-tested used one from Neo at £50 + VAT but less the £30 they owe me for the receiver/drier I bought and which is for a different model. At around £435 from dealers and best price found of £265 from other sources I will give the used one a go on Sat 28th (getting the evaporator next Mon during a visit to daughter in Bovingdon)
Pete

Petemate

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2012, 10:43:15 PM »
Well, just got home after visiting our daughter in Bovingdon, with a further trip from there round to Neo Bros in Waltham Cross - picked up a COMPLETE heater box, and the evaporator is visible and immaculate.
First, didn't get the refund because the receiver/drier is correct, just needs a small manipulation of the soft aluminium pipe to make it fit. (doh..) However, the counter supervisor took pity on me as he thought I had come all the way from Oxford and as he did not have an evaporator separate today let me have the whole box for 60 Sovs inc VAT; so I have a spare heater matrix and all the box complete with the stepper motors and the air con expansion valve. All their units are pressure tested upon removal so I reckon (compressor aside.....) that it will be OK now. Will fit the evaporator this weekend, back to work tomorrow unfortunately for 4 days.
Also, looking at the box it is now obvious to me that Haynes lied - no way does the heater unit need to be disturbed to remove the evaporator.
Hope the above useful to anyone else involved with the mystique of the Saab air con.
Pete

Complete with all the stepper motors!

Even got the expansion valve on it

Not a good pic but it looks good and reasonably clean in there and it doesn't smell
« Last Edit: 24 April 2012, 08:56:09 PM by Petemate »

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2012, 09:51:15 AM »
Blimey - good work Pete!

Petemate

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2012, 08:25:29 PM »
Blimey - good work Pete!

Ta Mark - but - it ain't over until the compressor fat lady sings!
Pete

Petemate

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2012, 06:14:15 PM »
All done. Probably Tues for the local garage to complete the gassing process, for which they have kindly suspended the costs so far until/unless the aircon works OK.
Worst parts of the job were 1) getting the upper rear blower motor shroud back in place and 2) lining up the threaded plate which goes behind the evaporator pipes and to which the expansion chamber is attached. (reminded me a bit of my days working on aircraft) Other than those, it was just a bit of 'stand on ones head'....
The u/s evaporator had blown up over about 2" of three of the tubes. It took about a week for the smell of the nitrogen to dissipate!
Pete

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #6 on: 29 April 2012, 08:20:57 PM »
(reminded me a bit of my days working on aircraft)

You get the locking wire in the right direction then? There's nothing like a good bit of anti-locking to ruin your day  ;D

Petemate

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 April 2012, 12:42:11 PM »
With the restricted access I'm glad there was no wirelocking!!
Occasionally when we had a not-so-nice senior tech, who would double-check the wirelocking, we would leave a nasty sharp end just a bit proud so he would catch his fingers on it..... not nice I know, and I still have a touch of guilt when I look back

Petemate

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 May 2012, 09:27:13 AM »
Update. Car went in yesterday. Transpires that it needs a full professional flush-out of the system, booked for today, and then a charge, and fingers crossed that should sort it. Hoping that the compressor is Ok, but worst case, not too bad to change. So I'm in the wife's Sportka for the second day's interesting commute.......
Pete

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2012, 01:23:27 PM »
So I'm in the wife's Sportka for the second day's interesting commute.......

Sounds cosmic! I bet you're looking forward to that!

Petemate

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 May 2012, 01:58:32 PM »
Well, I'll be back in the Saab for the trip to work tomorrow, but without aircon - hope it doesn't get too warm.
Latest info. Flushing done, regassed - compressor not kicking in. Feed right to the compressor, so rules out the pressure switch. Sounds like (or rather doesn't - no satisfying 'click') the clutch. Knowing my luck I would go through the motions of getting hold of a clutch, fitting it, then find that the seals have gone.... So I may go for a new compressor, but not at the moment - thrown too much money at it so far. Damned annoying but that is the world of air con. At least I know that all the rest of it is OK.
My indy has kindly degassed the system again so I can take the compressor off and have a play with it, and has waived all his charges so far, except for the sub-contract cost of the flushing. What a star. So out with the spanners again this weekend and look up a few new swear words!
Pete

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #11 on: 09 May 2012, 03:59:41 PM »
You'll get there in the end Peter - tenacity pays  ;)

Petemate

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 May 2012, 04:31:33 PM »
You'll get there in the end Peter - tenacity pays  ;)

I appreciate the moral support - I am determined to get it sorted. However, now that I am on Mon-Fri shifts, and have lost the magic '4 days off' in every 8 days, I don't have a nice long stretch to play so it may take a few weeks to fix. By which I will be ready for it if we have a nice warm spell!
Pete

Petemate

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2012, 08:35:29 AM »
Did a bit of research on arriving home, looks like even if a clutch was available, the cost could be more than a pattern new unit. Seems that the compressor is as fitted to a number of Vectras, Signums, etc; plenty out there at reasonable cost (£~800 from dealer!!!)
Will check the weekend what is happening with the clutch with my trusty lengths of wire, multimeter, etc. What fun.
Pete 8)

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2012, 11:19:40 AM »
Damn!

Pete I may be able to pop over to help out with some moral support but my boy was unwell last night with a temperature and it will have a knock on effect as he's off school today and Miha has had to cancel some work  :-\