Author Topic: 08 Saab 93 convertible rear bumper removal  (Read 6195 times)

Presto

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 3
    • View Profile
08 Saab 93 convertible rear bumper removal
« on: 23 April 2012, 09:20:54 AM »
I have searched without success. I am about to fit a tow bar to my 08 convertible and according to the instructions I need to remove the tail lights and the rear bumper. However the instructions show basic drawings with arrows but no text to inform me as to how to remove the bumper. I assume I need to remove the tail lights to access mounting screws for the bumper.
Can anyone help me out as it seems there is no workshop manual available yet.

Presto

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
Re: 08 Saab 93 convertible rear bumper removal
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2012, 09:37:12 AM »
It's ok, I found what I needed on Saab Central.

littlebasher

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2012, 01:31:57 AM »
Dunno if you've done it already, but something i will add is to be very carefull when pulling the bumper from the retaining clips on the rear quarters.

I was super carefull, yet still managed to break most of the clips (looks like they're designed to break when you remove the bumper) - i then had to go out and order new parts for both sides.

Good luck!

Presto

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2012, 09:51:52 AM »
Made a start on it this afternoon, instructions claimed it was a 2 hour job, and pigs might fly.
I broke one clip on the passenger side but don't think it will matter. I was apprehensive reefing on the bumper I have to say.
Have to cut the bumper and install the wiring kit tomorrow. Wiring kit came with German only instructions but have sourced an English version from a different company.
Do you know if it has to be programmed with tech 2?

littlebasher

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2012, 10:08:03 PM »
I didn't have to program mine in - all i did was plug in the wiring adapter into the fuse panel in the boot and then plug in the trailer control module.

All the functions work as soon as you plug in, including disabling the reversing sensors

I also bought the additional wiring to provide the permanent and switched 12v supply - wasn't much fun running the wires from the battery into the boot though!

Presto

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2012, 05:27:13 AM »
The job should be finished but found when I went to do the wiring I have been supplied with an kit for the original 93. Have to wonder how they manage to supply the correct bar and incorrect wiring.
Guess it will be another couple of weeks as I am in Australia and the kits come from either the UK or Germany.