Author Topic: Two days in...  (Read 14132 times)

David

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
Re: Two days in...
« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2018, 04:37:24 PM »
Oh well at least it is repairable Will and you do not have to get the car repatriated. Hope it all goes OK.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2018, 08:04:38 PM »
The only good news today is that it is just the turbo that’s failed. I feel reasonably confident that the mechanic I spoke to is OK. When I say “we” I mean my wife. After she said “So my husband was right. It is just the turbo”,  she turned to me and said “He’s saying that he can’t just replace the turbo he has to take all the pipework and intercooler apart and clean the oil and bits out”.

That's a good sign, all too often I've seen further issues caused when people don't clean out the intercooler and pipework.

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2018, 10:21:14 PM »
Good to hear it's getting sorted, hope it doesn't hit your wallet too much!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2018, 12:14:02 PM »
Estimate is an arm and both legs!! :o

Mechanic has also said that he is going to clean the exhaust and the catalytic converter. Hopefully it will be ready in time for the tunnel booking on Thursday morning. The turbo is on order from Sweden.  At least in return for a full price job I hope I get the parts for life guarantee.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 May 2018, 10:13:50 PM »
Ouch! Fingers crossed for the Orio guarantee.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 May 2018, 12:36:08 AM »
Estimate is an arm and both legs!! :o

Mechanic has also said that he is going to clean the exhaust and the catalytic converter. Hopefully it will be ready in time for the tunnel booking on Thursday morning. The turbo is on order from Sweden.  At least in return for a full price job I hope I get the parts for life guarantee.

Sounds like he's doing the full job, that's not a bad thing. What a time for a turbo failure though  :(

twosaabs

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 0
  • 9-5 Aero Estate and a 9-5 2.0 saloon just for fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 May 2018, 09:38:13 PM »
Good luck and hope all goes well. We're off to France tomorrow with the Aero Estate, fingers crossed ....

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 May 2018, 10:25:44 AM »
Fill up with fuel in the UK. France is very expensive at the moment. Our full tank got us to Luxembourg where 98 is €1.31/litre.

French motorway prices go up to €1.86/litre!!!! :o

Supermarkets are a bit cheaper but still around €1.50.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

twosaabs

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 0
  • 9-5 Aero Estate and a 9-5 2.0 saloon just for fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 May 2018, 11:49:17 AM »
Many thanks. It's only a weekend trip and I can usually manage without a fill France side at all.

Are you now stuck for the weekend?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 May 2018, 09:11:14 PM »
We will be on the train again from Heidelberg to Köln tomorrow.  Apart from last Saturday night, we have reached all of our booked hotels on time. :)

We spoke to the garage this afternoon and they are hopeful that the car will be ready on Tuesday.  If so, we will pick it up on our way back to Calais, stay overnight as planned in Calais, and home on Thursday morning.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29 May 2018, 09:54:57 AM »
Had a phone call from the garage just now to say that the car is ready for collection! :)

We are a three hour train journey away, so we will go down to Merzig and Saarland tomorrow morning from here in Köln and drive back to Calais via Metz and Reims. Back on track with the hotel bookings and tunnel crossing. Fingers crossed ... :)

It will be nice to be reunited with our big suitcase and proper clean clothes!!  Ten days of washing the stuff we could carry in hotel bathrooms is beginning to become tiresome.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #26 on: 29 May 2018, 11:31:01 PM »

Good luck - I hope all runs smoothely from now on

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30 May 2018, 09:48:39 PM »
We are staying in a nice hotel about 30 mins from the tunnel - and we have the car with us. :)

It ran at 80 mph for 4 and a half hours, from collection.  If the car starts in the morning, we will be on the Shuttle to home!! :)

I would say that the repair is about 95%.  New turbo.  They cleaned the exhaust, intercooler, pipework  - and the oil cooler...

But there is a slight issue.  Occasionally on accelerating from 80 mph, there is a hiccough.  It feels like the fuel cut-off it being activated.  It did this just as the turbo failed too. Idle speed is a bit unstable too.  Is this something to do with setting base boost?  Wen I get home I will pull the plugs and see if there's any damage.

Absolutely knackered now.  A 3 and a half hour train journey running late so that we almost misssed the connection, followed by a 4 and a half our drive up to the hotel near Calais.  We have just finished a great meal and I have drunk far too much wine. :hic:

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
    • Colin Brown Environmental Ltd.
« Reply #28 on: 31 May 2018, 07:12:51 AM »
We have just finished a great meal and I have drunk far too much wine. :hic:

You can never drink too much wine - after all wines is made from grapes and grapes are fruit and fruit is healthy so it is an easy way to get your five a day!"

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 31 May 2018, 04:16:05 PM »
As we drove onto the Shuttle, the engine light came on! :(

But it ran OK.  As we came round the M25 we called into Joe's Repair Shop at Epsom and he found that the pipe from the APC valve to the turbo was disconnected at the turbo end.  Pipe reconnected, but may be old and tired and could fall off again, but drove the hour home with no issues.

But it's now showing signs of a dying CPS and cutting out.  I'm going to check it all when it's cooled down.  The exhaust was removed and it's very close to the CPS.