Author Topic: What make to defect to  (Read 62629 times)

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
Re: What make to defect to
« Reply #180 on: 01 July 2016, 11:25:16 AM »
How bizarre. We went round that area May last year from Tongue round the coast thro Durness (visiting Smoo Cave). We then went dow the road to Balnakeil hunting somewhere to wild camp. We also went down to the ferry/jetty at Keoldale which appears only to operate at certain times of year to allow folk to visit the lighthouse - wow she was remote. We then went down to visit the very very remote Sandwood Bay beach. A short 4 mile walk from Sheigra............. Wild camped at Oldshoremore - wonderful remote area of UK with awesome coast line.

This pic is taken at Smoo looking away into the North Atlantic - was slightly breezy day to say the least.

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
    • Colin Brown Environmental Ltd.
« Reply #181 on: 02 July 2016, 09:42:01 AM »
My mother used to tell me that her and her brothers and sisters used to play on those beaches and in Smoo Cave.....my paternal great grandfather is buried in the cemetery at Oldshoremore. I have  attached a photo of my maternal grandmother (in the white blouse on the left) with her parents and siblings. Her mother, my great grandmother, was called Flora MacDonald - not the famous one and her brother Dany - sitting on the ground in the middle was killed in the First World War.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 04 July 2016, 08:39:09 AM »
Colly - this is getting weird because we wild camped in the car park behind the cemetery in Oldshoremore!! We both commented on how peaceful it was there and that the cemetery was on a slope away from the rigours of the atlantic storms which must hit pretty hard.

collywobble

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 16
  • 2.2 TiD Linear Estate
    • View Profile
    • Colin Brown Environmental Ltd.
« Reply #183 on: 04 July 2016, 09:01:29 AM »
I meant to say my maternal great grandfather William Ross - my mothers grandfather!  I was last up there in 1999 when we took my mothers ashes up to be interred in the family plot in Balnakiel Cemetery.  We had the minister from Kinlochbervie perform the ceremony.  When we were driving through Durness we pulled over to let a car through and it was people I have known for nearly 30 years who live about 12 miles away from me!

When we went up SWMBO - who was born in Atlanta, Georgia and used to the Blue Ridge Mountains didn't realise we had scenery like the Highlands in this country!

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 04 July 2016, 08:26:51 PM »
That's some really interesting history collywobble.
My Mrs' family on the east coast are of the Ross and Mackay gangs, not an uncommon name I know but several William Ross's on her side :)

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: 24 July 2016, 07:40:43 PM »
A very pleasant and interesting diversion off topic - another example of why STT is probably the best forum around.

(Meanwhile, Mods - a possible infiltrator in the shape of new member "legopetdem" posting on the customer service desk section?)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 24 July 2016, 08:26:58 PM »
(Meanwhile, Mods - a possible infiltrator in the shape of new member "legopetdem" posting on the customer service desk section?)

Already dealt with, banned them. Same post using same name and text on many forums. It's most likely a scripted form of hackery to find forums that don't remove "odd" posts in a timely manner so they can add spam at a later date.

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 24 July 2016, 08:54:00 PM »
Cheers Audax.