Author Topic: What make to defect to  (Read 62628 times)

mikeloadsasaabs

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 23
  • Was 9-5 Aero auto estate with Maptun Stage 1
    • View Profile
Re: What make to defect to
« Reply #30 on: 28 April 2014, 01:00:55 PM »
Another instance of where the 9-5 provide so much over the competition (apart from not being available)
..... which is a minor drawback  ;D

Still some nice late 9-5s around (Dame Edna, not the all-new one).

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 28 April 2014, 06:59:33 PM »
With the Volvo the D5 is one to go for but needs to be a new one as any between 2005 to about 2009 have DPF problems and terrible on diesel.

Yes the load bay is also smaller than our beloved Saab 9-5 est. Don't forget all V70 series and 90 series have turning circle of a supertanker...............:(

StanleyB

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 30 April 2014, 07:03:08 PM »
It is depressing to discover how difficult it is to find a suitable like for like replacement for just about any SAAB.

MikeIOW

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 01 May 2014, 10:09:30 AM »
Think I mentioned we've plumped for the 181bhp D4 FWD unit.    Volvo are moving entirely to 4 cyl engines, & this is the first out (massive lead times right now) - not in AWD until probably late next year....to be honest, I don't *need* AWD, but really did like the higher driving position of the XC60.
I am sure I will miss the extra 79bhp.....but that is progress.....still claims 0-60 in around 8.5s, and of course with diesel the midrange should make overtaking manoeuvres not too stressful ;-)    Who knows, maybe Polestar will pop up in a year with a boost for it too ;-)
Seats as comfortable as the Saab ones (which are of course amazingly good!).....& plenty of tech toys to keep me amused. 
Also going for the new 8-spd auto: yes, lazy, but I figure it should suit this kind of vehicle.    & a thought ahead to the fact that the new engine & new gearbox should stand me in good stead in a few years for part-ex'ing when SAAB/NEVS come out with something new!

Oh yes: luggage space: 495 litres to glassline, 655 to roof & 1455 with rear seats down: I think slightly shorter depth-wise (but wider) with seats up, slightly longer with them down.   Pretty similar really.....& fine for our needs.

« Last Edit: 01 May 2014, 10:16:03 AM by MikeIOW »

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 01 May 2014, 08:30:23 PM »
Mike - forget Polestar the ones to go for with Volvo are Shark.

I read recently the new Volvo engines are incredibly good on fuel and power delivery superb. My wifes V50 is a 2.0D which is 136 hp mated to 6 speed and that gives my Hirsched 9-5 TiD 1.9 a good run for money and I manage to get 62 on a run out of it - quiet engine as well.

I think a lot of the new Volvo engines are this 2.0 that's in my wifes but with twin scroll turbo's; bit like the 9-3 TTiD to give them the extra power boost and economy.

Good luck with it - 8 speed! Wow

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02 May 2014, 02:42:46 PM »
Mike - forget Polestar the ones to go for with Volvo are Shark.

There's an important difference which may be relevant. Polestar are analogous to Hirsch- you retain full manufacturers warranty if you go for a Polestar tune, but not Shark.

MikeIOW

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02 May 2014, 04:27:21 PM »
Good info!
Of course the reality is I will probably keep the model standard (unless the power is disappointing!)....partly for practical (insurance etc) reasons, partly because the engine is *so* new, there won't be much tuning for a year or more, I would guess!
cheers

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 06 May 2014, 10:33:08 AM »
From what I found out before when I had my V70 Polestar spend more time of race prep on certain cars and specials unlike Hirsch who work research and test on all models. I suppose with Saab there are a lot fewer models to play with 9-3 & 9-5. Volvo have C30, V40, V50, V60, V70, XC verisons and so on.

I know Polestar don't do re-maps for my wifes but Shark do and there's acts very much like Hirsch giving smooth delivery unlike Abbotts full on approach.

TBH though I think you'd be surprised how good that engine is without re-map! Polestar don't seem to do your engine yet! They still look at AWD 163hp 

dw

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 20 May 2014, 12:56:10 PM »
I have now partially defected- the red 900 Turbo Manual from 1996 has gone  - replaced by a 6 month old 1.4 VW Polo. An advantage of this is that I will get equal or more access to the 9-5 Aero estate.

and the final straw is registering on the Volvo forum so as to get to know a few of the secret "handshakes" -

Hello MikeIOW

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 20 May 2014, 05:11:59 PM »
Just to finish off the topic. Thanks for all your thoughts, am I any closer to a decision - no.

Mike-l-s comment was a definite wake up call to bring me to my senses.<g>

What I have realised by looking at the features on the current crop of potential vehicles is how well equipped the vehicle the Aero estate is, containing several features not available easily on other makes or for a huge cost.
Should a catastrophe occur to the Aero then I am afraid my prejudices still blind me to taking a common-sense decision so I would be looking at Mercedes, Audi-VW family, Volvo.  So I hope that the Aero continues to function longer than I can.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

I replaced my 9-5 with this as my main car:

Though I still have the old 9-3:

Build quality on the Merc is very good. Performance is excellent too, though can get no where near the official combined 53mpg. Never got 50+ - my average over 7500 miles is 37mpg - got more than that with the old 9-5 1.9 TiD!

I looked at loads of makes when I got the Merc. I would have had a new Saab if they were still going (9-5 Wagon).

I did look at Skoda's having had 2 Superbs before, though the cocky attitude of the dealers put me off. The Octavia vRS was impressive if a bit bumpy on our rubbish roads - 6 month wait put me off as well! There are way too may XF's where I live, so they were out for me. Didn't think of Volvo at the time, and Audi ignored me completely when I went to the showroom.

The one car I regretted not testing was the Mazda 6 which I think looks great in the flesh.

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 20 May 2014, 06:48:32 PM »
Nice! Which engine?

Pity about the Skoda dealer, the one round here is ... superb. Sorry.
Independent, locally owned. Also has Mazda and Lexus franchise. Doesn't open on Sundays, determined that employees are guaranteed a definite day for personal time. Gave up Mitsubishi franchise some years back because of it.

I found Audi dealers only respect someone wearing a better suit than theirs. True. Saw same bloke a couple of weeks apart. First time I was in casual clothes, got token lip service. Second time in a good suit, he couldn't do enough. Except supply the car I wanted.

And you're right about the Mazda 6.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 20 May 2014, 07:40:49 PM »
Having read up on the Tesla model S which is soon to come to the UK I know what I want, only trouble is I can't afford one.  :P

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 21 May 2014, 12:20:08 PM »
Nice! Which engine?

Pity about the Skoda dealer, the one round here is ... superb. Sorry.
Independent, locally owned. Also has Mazda and Lexus franchise. Doesn't open on Sundays, determined that employees are guaranteed a definite day for personal time. Gave up Mitsubishi franchise some years back because of it.

Mine's a 250CDi (believe the engine is 2.1). 208 BHP so it does shift. Still not sussed the gearbox though - sometimes it reacts really quickly when you floor it, other times it seems to take a couple of seconds to make it's mind up. I've tried to anticipate this delay when overtaking, though if it does react quickly, I nearly rear end the car I'm trying to overtake!

The gear selector is on  a stalk on the steering wheel - putting the car into Park is exactly the same action as squirting the windows in the Saab, so I have to be very careful I don't park the gearbox when it's raining and I'm doing 70mph on the motorway! I'm sure there's a feature to stop this happening but I daren't test it!

My other half has worked at a car dealership for over a year now - she has to work Sundays and Bank Holidays on rotation - no holidays allowed in March or September either! Very interesting to see (hear) things from the salesman's (woman) perspective! Amazing how many customers arrive hours late with no communication to let the dealer know..

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 21 May 2014, 02:07:04 PM »

Mine's a 250CDi (believe the engine is 2.1). 208 BHP

The gear selector is on  a stalk on the steering wheel

Never mind the BHP, you should've mentioned the torque - 500 Nm, or 370 lb/ft - tree-stump pulling performance.

I had occasional use of a BMW 730d some years back, similar column gear selector, and like a sequential selector was always in a central position. Never got used to it.  Good luck!

Mr Linear

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 21 May 2014, 02:46:49 PM »
I am now Saabless... :'(

I changed my Aero for a Pug 508 SW, which is a very nice and well kitted car. They are definitely worth a test drive, especially the 2.2 HDI GT 200bhp.

The other half has now got a new Ford Kuga AWD....again a very nice car, plenty of torque for every day driving.

I just hope Saab stay afloat so I can get a new one in a few years time!