Workshop for classic Saab models > Saab 9000 (1984-1998)

Review your Saab 9000 (M85-97)

(1/2) > >>

Tech II:
Thanks to Chris (Zaphod) for the suggestion.  This topic is for owners to review their Saab in their own words for the benefit of other contributors to STT who may be interested in buying or just reading your views.

We look forward to reading your reviews!

tfkm:
The topic has been here a while, but I might as well be first.

Bought my MY96 CSE in August 2006, and honestly still consider it the best car I Have ever owned. It has had a few little quirks over the 5 years, as you would expect of a now 15 year old car, but for the most part it has been incredibly reliable and since I only do 8-10,000 miles per year it has still only done around 140k so there is life left in the old girl yet.

Small electrical faults are the biggest frustration, but generally easily, and relatively cheaply, solved by the local indie.

Parts are expensive (£300 for half an exhaust was a bit of a shock) and it is surprisingly hard on tyres for doing relatively little mileage as I am not a particularly aggressive driver, but for the most part I consider the servicing and maintenance costs worth it when I got so much car for so little money.

The best summary/review I can offer on my 9000 is that I would gladly replace it with another (probably a full turbo rather than LPT), and am sad that  even the newest of them are now teenagers.

rdwebster:
 My 9000 carlsson 2.3 cs is 20 in January though not quite standard big brakes no di or tcs and a bit more than the original 225 bhp, it has 190000 on the clock and goes like a train, the only issues I've had after dumping the DI are rusty rear arches and the lights which burn out probably due to the high intensity bulb system but the original lights were rubbish, I 'm not sure where I'll get another set of lights from though. I always enjoy driving it and it still does 30 to the gallon . ;D   

danilo:
My 97 is my 4th one First was an 87. Earlier cars were quicker more agile. Lots of ongoing trans issues though, plus the infamous Electrical oddities, that Never fully go away.
 Current 2.3 gets atrocious Mileages .  After 20 years of Owning Saabs , I have NEVER seen 30 mpg .. period.
And treat all such claims with total amazement.
 Current CSE gets 20 (ish) Urban  (80% of my driving ) and possibly? 26/7 on the hiway.
 Nice Comfy car.. But in fairness not even close to what a current Similar $40/50 K! car delivers.
 But then there is reason why we got ours for, at most , 10 cents on the original purchase price $.
 Unlikely that we will be able to buy another such car in the future, for peanuts pricings.
End of an era me thinks. Enjoy it while we can :-)

phoenix:
The 30 we talk about is imperial mpg which is approx 25mpg US so your figures sound about right

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version