Author Topic: Front wheel tyre wear  (Read 2676 times)

gidders

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Front wheel tyre wear
« on: 24 October 2011, 10:55:21 PM »
Purchased new my 2011 model 9-3 TTID estate last November and looked today at the front tyres. Have 10000 miles on the clock since new and I reckon I will be lucky if I get another 1000 or 2000 miles out of the front tyres. I got 18000 miles out of the front tyres on my previous 2007 9-5 Vector Sport Estate. Car fitted with Contisport Contact 3 tyres.

Anyone else having the same experience and any suggestions on what other tyre manufacturer to try in an attempt to increase the mileage out of the front tyres. Do not believe I am heavy on the accelerator. Can I put another manufacturer's tyres on front of vehicle while retaining Conit's on the back?.  Ian 

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Front wheel tyre wear
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2011, 11:24:32 PM »
There are lots of electronic checks and adjustments on the 9-3.  That may be causing extra wear if something is out of adjustment.

But the current car is a diesel.  Was the previous car a diesel?  Diesels are heavier.  Also is your TTiD 180hp versus the 150hp (or similar) of the previous car.

His you tracking been checked?  It may be out of alignment.

Has your tracking been adjusted? Is the steering wheel straight?  If the car had adjustments on the steering, you should also get the steering angle sensor reset to straight ahead.  Also if things are a bit out, the electronic stability may be confused and putting the brakes on on odd single wheels.

Are the tyres 225/45 17 94W XL (extra load)?  If you have 225/45 17 91V standard load tyres they will wear quickly.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

gidders

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Front wheel tyre wear
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2011, 08:35:50 AM »
Many thanks . This one is a 160 diesel and the last one was also diesel and 150hp. Alignment has not been checked and no sign of uneven wear. Steering wheel is straight. Will mention to dealer and try to find slowere wearing tyres