Author Topic: MOT fail - seat belt anchorage (sill) area, rear suspension mounting area  (Read 21097 times)

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
Not sure I'll ever get a bus pass the way the system is going....

Wouldn't matter though, my old village had 1 bus a week.

Arrived at 11:00 on a Wednesday and left again at 11:30.

11.30 the following Wednesday?

:-)

In, quick rest break and  then back out again

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
For years residents of Merseyside when they reach 60 have been given free passes for BOTH buses and Merseyrail.

And the ferry too IIRC. Says an ex denizen of New Brighton who just happens to be related to fka...

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
Bus doesn't come into our village at all; stops at our big village college a mile away (but that's being knocked on the head after school hours) or walk to next village 2 miles away

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
There was  bit on the news a year or two ago about a circular bus route from Eastbourne.  It only went round the loop in one direction, and ran twice a day.  If you wanted to go to Eastbourne in the morning, the bus had been out and was on its way back when it passed through the village.  The whole circuit took about two hours, so if you caught the bus home, you either sat on it for ages, or got off at a roadside stop and walked a mile and a half along lanes to your village.  If you did the walk in winter, it was dark, the road was unlit and there was a ford along the route. It had a footbridge, but it was old, wooden and the handrails had fallen off... :o   The publicity did get the footbridge repaired by the council, but the bus company only made the comment that the route was uneconomic and that if it wasn't used more, they would abandon it.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
Phoenix, do you remember when the ferries actually came to New Brighton? I can remember the Tower fairgrounds, and certainly the banger racing track and the excellent swimming pool.  (Sorry, I might be ageing you - my name gives a clue to my age.)

Ah, nostalgia, eh?

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
Phoenix has a few years on me ;) but I remember the year the outdoor pool was destroyed in a storm. Dam shame, I think it's a supermarket now..

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
Yes, that was in 1990. Finally, after several false starts, around ten years ago on the site of the pool they built a Morrisons, plus a cinema, other smaller shops, pub, Costa coffee, and a couple of chain restaurants. Further along they also rebuilt the Floral Pavilion. Quite a thriving seafront now. All fairly compact so it doesn't look like hundreds of other retail/leisure parks, and since there's no through traffic, cars and people get along fairly well. And around the corner as you walk the two miles to Seacombe on the traffic-free promenade you get a superb view of the Liverpool waterfront.

No, I have no connection with the local tourist board!

(Still off topic, sorry.)

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
I've been to the new Floral, my Mum insisted on taking all the grandkids to the Panto one Christmas. It was actually quite good fun, I'm not ashamed to admit I enjoyed it, and they've done a lovely job of the theatre.
Got a lot of fond memories down by the river, we used to launch our boat on the slipway opposite the Chelsea Reach (Now Pier House) and either head up river or out and over to Hilbre island. Also had the slight misfortune of living in Seacombe for a while. Not been back in over 20 years but it was a bit of a s-hole at the time.
Not living by the sea is currently my biggest regret!

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
Nice photos. Ah, the Chelsea Reach. Memories best left undisturbed. Sleeping dogs and all that.

And you're still not far wrong about Seacombe. The best bit is the ferry out.  But then, I come from Anfield, these days one of the most deprived areas in the country, so who am I to talk!

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
No I'm not old enough to remember the ferries into NB but I do remember both outdoor pools and the pier. The area has been really revitalised over the last 10 years and is a far cry now from the derelict wasteland of the early 90s.

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
Hi phoenix.
The ferries stopped in 1971, when the Wallasey Tunnel opened. The pier/ferry terminal was demolished around 1977. No-one calls it the Kingsway, except Merseytravel who own it. Same for the other tunnel, the Queensway, almost universally called the Birkenhead tunnel. The Queensway was opened when there was a King on the throne, and the Kingway with a Queen on the throne. Go figure.

I used the ferries a lot in the 60s, then especially in 1970 when a few of us would often take an afternoon off from revising for our A levels and spend it riding on the ferries.

I'd forgotten about the second pool at the far end of the prom near the golf club. It's now the site of a Harvester restaurant using the original buildings.

I actually remembered all this without the aid of Google. How sad.

My apologies to those who know all this, and also to those who aren't in the slightest bit interested!

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
And I walked through Kingsway when it opened...

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
They closed the Birkenhead tunnel in July 2009 for a mass charity walk from the Liverpool side. If people needed it there were return trips by bus or ferry included in the entry fee.

I've cycled through both a few times on the Liverpool - Chester bike ride, when they close the tunnels for a couple of hours. They keep one of the Wallasey tunnels open for traffic. The worst part is the straight climb out of the Wallasey tunnel to Liverpool, it's only a mile but there's no variation in direction or gradient for relief. You can also cycle through the Birkenhead tunnel after 8pm. I've a friend who's done that a few times but you're still mixing with traffic then.

GeoffW

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 2
  • Sadly now Saabless, what next?
    • View Profile
Car went off to breakers on Monday. Very sad day!

Still, I'd had it since Feb 2011 and put 170,000 miles onto the 110,000 it already had. Can't complain.

Only issue now is what to replace it with. Now I've retired and live right on the doorstep of the kids, I don't do anything like the mileage I used to.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Have some fun! Buy a Turbo X or Carlsson!   :)

My wife and I do low mileage now that we're retired, so fuel consumption is not too important. The Carlsson has all the toys and goes fast when it needs to.  There's one for sale locally at the moment - well it was last week.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.