Author Topic: Insurance renewal time again  (Read 9490 times)

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance renewal time again
« Reply #30 on: 09 December 2019, 11:42:14 AM »
Hi James, and compliments of the season.
Our daughter has been with Hastings for a couple of years (I do all the research, sorting out, etc, but she pays) and last month started the usual comparison marathon. Hastings were top of all the sites, including insurers' own sites. They were a little cheaper than their renewal quote, but by the time I'd sorted windscreen cover, etc, it was only pennies different. A pleasant surprise, and it saved me having to haggle. We did need to make a claim this time last year (car written off, a 5 year old MINI worth around £6k), and I wasn't entirely happy with their lack of day to day continuity if the case handler was off work (!). However their initial offer was slightly more than what I wanted in settlement - I was expecting a big argument over the value of the car, so full marks for that.

My turn in January, I've been with Cornmarket/Institute of Advanced Motorists for three years. Excellent phone service, based in NI. I'm hoping to stay with them.

The other big area where prices can vary is breakdown cover. I know the comparison sites throw up a wide range of services, but Green Flag is the best known, I believe. Rather than post along story, if anyone's with GF then don't accept their renewal - check on comparison sites and also their own website - prices can vary by 50% for the same cover depending how you do it - phone, GF website, or comparison sites.

And compliments of the season to everyone else - the site is a lot quieter these days.