Author Topic: 0-60 times  (Read 5583 times)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
0-60 times
« on: 15 November 2016, 08:28:41 AM »

This is a bit of an odd one, I've only ever checked the 0-60 times of 2 Saabs, my old 2.0t 9-5 auto and my current 9-3 Aero auto. Both are quite a bit faster than the numbers Saab give. The way I've tested is with using the Torque app on my phone and an OBD-2 adaptor. The 9-5 was rated at something like 12.5 second 0-60 but the car used to achieve it in about 10.5 seconds.

Then the 9-3 Aero is supposed to be 8.9 seconds but I've measured it at 6.7 seconds! Even if you allow for the measurements to be out a bit then I'm seeing times that are considerably faster than they should be, especially given the conditions that I tested them in which were less than favourable.

The only reason I started this was that the 9-3 felt a bit down on power the other day and I thought it might be having a coil breakdown or similar so I thought I'd get a baseline figure to see how far off the mark it was. I had been thinking of sorting this problem (and hopefully it's not inlet valves) and getting it remapped with Hirsch but now even though I'm sure it has not been remapped before it's faster than it should be, now I'm really confused.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
Re: 0-60 times
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2016, 04:32:01 PM »
Audax - I have same dilemma with my TTiD. I have now been in 2 others; both saloons, and mine is considerably faster than them. We ended up doing a rolling start next to each other down the A11 from 50 mph in 5th gear. Mine pulled ahead so much faster as if in 4th gear and the other car has only done 68k; mine is now on 123k.

I went to the Lakes last weekend and we were 4 adults up and back completely full with kit bags and rucksacs and food etc. My mate has a 2015 Insignia 2.0 CDTi EcoFlex SRi estate and he said there was no way he could keep up with me on the run to the Lakes with just two of them on board so like you I am puzzled as there's no evidence on it's history anywhere of any re-mapping - oh yeh I was better on fuel than the so called 'EcoFlex' engine averaging low 50's for the fast run - there and back into Borrowdale on less than a tank full...........

TomPaine

• SST paid up supporter
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 17
  • MY04 9-5 Aero auto estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2016, 05:30:57 PM »
I'm interested by this, as I've also always felt that the 0-60 times quoted for mine (2.0 LPT, then Aero) seemed very conservative.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2016, 09:09:47 AM »
I'll get my son to set up his gizmo thingy whatever it is and have a go at a 0 - 60 on a nice flat quiet road about a mile from where I live. It sticks on windscreen and you simply set it up for the time trial and then press GO. It must work from GPS as it only starts timing when car moves and stops bang on the speed you set. It has a lead you can connect to your data port so that must work off car's speed sensor. Pretty impressive whatever it is. His rocket fueled JDM lightweight pink edition Impreza did 5 runs averaging 3.5 to 60 but his mate who does rally cross got 3.1 twice...............stupidly fast.

Will let you know the result and whether I still have a usable clutch!

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 November 2016, 01:23:18 PM »
My mate has a 2015 Insignia 2.0 CDTi EcoFlex SRi estate

Typical Vauxhall naming - it takes longer to say  than to do 0-60!

Jim - did you get a good look inside? My b-i-l has the hatch version of that, got it in March. Lots of shiny stuff in there, he's still trying to understand how everything works.
« Last Edit: 16 November 2016, 01:26:43 PM by Geoff1951 »

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 November 2016, 03:40:56 PM »
No Geoff I didn't really but there looked loads of stuff and my mate still hasn't got his head round it all yet. Ride is atrocious though he says. He really liked mine. Oddly enough he couldn't get much more in the back than I could due to the shape of the tailgate which also has some nasty corners that can take your eyes out!

David

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 November 2016, 04:00:59 PM »
My mate has a 2015 Insignia 2.0 CDTi EcoFlex SRi estate

Typical Vauxhall naming - it takes longer to say than to do 0-60!

That did make me chuckle Jim. ;-)

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 November 2016, 04:50:49 PM »
No Geoff I didn't really but there looked loads of stuff and my mate still hasn't got his head round it all yet. Ride is atrocious though he says. He really liked mine. Oddly enough he couldn't get much more in the back than I could due to the shape of the tailgate which also has some nasty corners that can take your eyes out!

The ride IS atrocious. It's the sixth Vectra/Insignia I've been in and they all make me car-sick. Even when I'm driving. Ditto about the load space. He forgot to mention the tiny rear window - lots of glass outside, but from the inside there's a remarkably small oval to see through. The hatch frame is really substantial.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 November 2016, 08:52:40 AM »
Yep my mate did mention about tiny windows and passengers feel claustrophobic - it's all about passenger safety and protecting them which looks good but they really ought to give free appointments at chiropractors and free sick bags. There should be a warning about that tailgate edge which is perfect eye level.

I did say 'Al, why did you buy it.......' and bearing in mind he's in same profession as me...................his reply was 'I got a good deal when trading in my old Vectra estate.......' - I think i'd have choked if was drinking tea. I told him he'd have been far better off in many ways buy getting either a Skoda Octavia or a Superb estate knowing all will work and folk can see out...................

Next time you see a family in an Insignia just look carefully at the rear passengers - they look like they had a part in 'Shaun of the dead'............................(ahhhhhh - let me out der).

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 November 2016, 02:50:54 PM »
My B-i-L got his through Vauxhall's staff and family scheme, about 35-40% below list. A big share of depreciation already gone. He's happy, and will keep the car for years. His brother's the staff part.
I've a cousin who's retired Vauxhall staff, on a different scheme. Gets a new Corsa (wife's choice) for peanuts on a lease. Hands it back every six months. Then it goes into the dealer network as nearly new, with a fair chunk of the original warranty still in force.

Now, back on topic...

StanleyB

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 November 2016, 09:10:56 PM »
Don't forget the fuel used when you do these tests. My 9-3 is a handful and near impossible to keep straight when I use V-Shell and accelerate quickly from standstill. If I use normal Shell fuel, or El Cheapo from Sainsbury's etc., it is a lot more drivable, but also slower off the line. What I do is to fill up half the tank with V-Shell and the rest is normal Shell etc. That seems to give me the best traction with minimum loss of acceleration.
I get away with that because there is a petrol station at both ends of a stretch of road on the A1 where I go for my V-Shell. I top up with one petrol type at one station, and then drive to the other one to do the rest of the fill up.   

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 November 2016, 08:30:20 AM »
I always use Shell V Power diesel or BP Ultimate diesel all the while. If I can't find any using my Shell Drivers Club app ten I only put £10 of cheap till I find one.

As long as I do the 0-60 in dry I'm fine and we turn off traction control to get a bit more go!! It makes quite a difference but I am still gobsmacked as to how quick my TTiD is not only off the mark but at speed as well in 6th. I don't try it in the wet as it bounces around like mad at the front till it gets traction - my tyres are GY Eagle F1's which have been brilliant.

Car is due it's service in December (SID says 11% at the moment) so I'll ask them to check if it has had the Hirsch or some other re-map.