Author Topic: First time driving in France and Belgium.  (Read 10471 times)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
First time driving in France and Belgium.
« on: 09 July 2017, 11:58:36 AM »

We're going on holiday in September to France and Belgium, it'll be the first time I've driven outside the British Isles and in a country with right hand traffic (apart from 10 minutes in a parking lot in the states which was also the first time I drove an LHD car and an automatic!).

What things do you guys think I should be aware of or do that may not be obvious? Although as I've not even looked at how to get the car there yet or booked accommodation I guess we may have to go somewhere else entirely!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: First time driving in France and Belgium.
« Reply #1 on: 09 July 2017, 01:07:45 PM »
Check your insurance covers the places that you are going to.  They are not all the same.  Sometimes Spain is included and sometimes not.  One insurer included Morocco with Spain.  Ditto for Eastern Europe. Get extra cover for breakdown and recovery.  Try your usual insurer for the extras.  But beware some have big excesses for cars over 10 years old.

Get medical cover.  Get the EHIC card first - it's free.  Don't go via the "intercept" sites that charge you.  We have used various medical insurers.  This year we used a company called "EHIC Plus".  The EHIC card entitles you to free emergency medical attention in a state hospital.  The insurance covers things that are not free.  There are also high risk sports that are extra.  check the small print.  But you may fine cheaper.  There's some sensible advice on the Martin Lewis  "moneysavingexpert" website.

You need to take hi-vis jackets for anyone who would need to leave the car if you breakdown.  Put them on before you leave the car.  Ditto if stopped by the police.  It's an offence to leave the car without wearing it.

Spare bulbs, incl headlamp.

Second warning triangle.

Worth getting a French environment sticker.  Their areas are not just town centres.  Some rural areas are included.  Again there are "intercept sites" to avoid.
https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/

Each environment area is decided by the local authority.  Only Paris, Grenoble and Lille today, but most major cities and some national parks will be added this year.  For about £5, not worth the risk of a big fine.  Order it now. French bureaucracy is slow.   

Germany does the same.  Get an umweltplakette. €6 from a German official source.  I used berlin.de as recommended by the AA.

Driving...

Roundabouts are the hardest to learn.  Needs a week or two to get the hang of going round the wrong way.

The Europeans have introduced roundabouts in the last 10 years.  They don't understand them.  The French drive around the outside edge, so don't expect a car adjacent to the kerb approaching you, turning off the roundabout.  On most main roundabouts, the French have painted the road so that only one lane enters the roundabout.  They can't handle two lanes, apparently. It confuses them.  The Germans are learning but they tend to panic at roundabouts.

When you get tired, you will make mistakes.  Make sure you agree with all the other passengers that they can back seat drive without the driver getting cross.  Also applies to leaving a one-way street turning onto a two-way road.  Easy to automatically go to the wrong side.

Satnav is usually OK, but putting the position of speed cameras on them is illegal in France and Switzerland.

Speed limits are 130km/hr on French motorways and 110km/hr if it's raining.  Other countries are much the without the change when raining.  Maybe 120 or 110 km/hr depending on the country.  Germany has the same limit, but it's advisory unless there's an actual limit shown.

If there's a queue on the road, traffic moves to both edges to allow emergency vehicles down the middle.  The hard shoulder is, apparently, for breakdowns,not emergency vehicles.

Look at French supermarket websites - Auchan, E Leclerc, Carrefour, Geant, etc.  Some have a free app for locating their stores.  Petrol is much cheaper there than on the motorway or in the country.

Not sure about headlamp adjustment.  Saab only seem to mention it for the 9-5 after 2006.  I just turn mine down a couple of turns.

That'll do for now... :)

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2017, 01:09:36 PM »
Oh yes...

If you have any Tesco Clubcard vouchers, they are worth three times their face value if you use them to pay for the Channel Tunnel.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

David

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 July 2017, 07:35:52 PM »
Places to visit in Belguim:

Amazing modern engineering

Amazing old engineering

Great museum. Aircraft museum next door.

http://www.mahymobiles.be/Mahymobiles/Home_UK.html - SAAB 99 on 'display'.
Overspill museum, well worth a stroll

Grande square Brussels

And of course Waterloo

Far more to Belguim than the EU  ;)

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 July 2017, 08:09:12 PM »
Spa Francochamps...

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 July 2017, 08:14:32 PM »
Our main intention was to get here on the 13th September, http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/438189/BOWER,%20CHARLES%20FRANCIS saying that I'm already boggled by the costs for getting there. It seems the headline prices are very cheap until you want some flexibility and then the prices are sky high. :-\

Looking at the costs I'm not sure it's actually worth it to go for just one week.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 July 2017, 09:44:46 PM »
The Channel tunnel is a bit more flexible that it purports to be.  If you book a crossing at a specified time, and you arrive early, they will offer you the earlier crossing, usually at no extra cost.  You can also arrive up to two hours late without cost penalty, and they will fit you into the first available slot.  Usually the next train if you aren't travelling at peak times.

If you are only going to Belgium for a single thing, consider shortening the visit to less than a week.  There are several crossings offering "booze cruise" deals of five nights or less. https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/tickets/types/short-stay/  If you do this, consider crossing on the first train after midnight and driving straight off the ferry to the Ibis hotel opposite Cite Europe shopping mall.  It's less than 5 mins and the hotel has 24hr reception. So you would get the full 5 days abroad.

Also Dover-Dunkerque with Norfolk Line used to be a bit cheaper than the others.  I haven't looked at it lately.

We have found that staying at Logis hotels gives a good compromise between cost and quality.  Most are family hotels with good restaurants. https://www.logishotels.com     Our current favourite is the Hotel St Louis at Bollezeele about 35 miles from Calais towards Belgium.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 July 2017, 08:33:04 AM »
DON'T FORGET BREATHALYZER KIT!!!!!!! You must have them by law now in France at least. Get a twin pack in case the police stop you and ask you do use one; you could get stopped a little futher up the road and asked again and it's a hefty on the spot fine if you don't have one that's in date. If you buy now you'll be fine but if you intend going abroad again next you always check them before you go. My son got a random stop by police last year down near Orange. It was early evening and my son and his fiancee were in my VW camper looking for a site and so were a little erratic driving. Police were very polite and mentioned heavy fine if they didn't have one but my wife is super efficient and had put a new twin pack in - apparently the police said they'd caught out lots of Brits not having one.

Travel wise as Will says book early and Norfolk Line or DFDS can be good value. My son always does Dover to Dunkirk on flexi ticket and this September I'm pretty sure I heard him says it was around £150 return for the camper with 48 hrs either side of dates for travel. I know it was a lot cheaper than any other method and he really is savvy finding best prices.

Pretty sure you'll be fine; simply take your time leaving the ports and once on the lovely smooth roads you'll stop worrying. I hadn't driven abroad for years but we then went down to Perpignan having booked a cottage in the hills - cheap flight from Stansted and a hire car was cheaper than driving down. I think it was a diesel Vaux Corsa and after a few goes at trying to change gear with the door handle I was fine. Yep - as Will says just be on your guard at roundabouts - watch other LHD cars and simply follow.

But don't forget the breathalyzers and first aid kit. Look up on the AA website and you'll see what you need compulsory and suggested - I've got to get camper serviced etc as son said yesterday they are going down to Perpignan through Andorra and then down to Barcelona - poor camper; mileage is going up!!!!!

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 July 2017, 08:58:05 AM »
If you are only going to Belgium for a single thing, consider shortening the visit to less than a week.  There are several crossings offering "booze cruise" deals of five nights or less. https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/tickets/types/short-stay/  If you do this, consider crossing on the first train after midnight and driving straight off the ferry to the Ibis hotel opposite Cite Europe shopping mall.  It's less than 5 mins and the hotel has 24hr reception. So you would get the full 5 days abroad.

That is a very very helpful bit of advice, we're not going for just one thing but it was the main thing to make us look at it. I'll look into the costings again tonight!

TomPaine

• SST paid up supporter
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 17
  • MY04 9-5 Aero auto estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 July 2017, 09:27:37 AM »
DON'T FORGET BREATHALYZER KIT!!!!!!! ... it's a hefty on the spot fine if you don't have one that's in date.

The French have actually never brought the fine into force, and it's now been suspended indefinitely (because no one in France complies). Though I still have one in the dashboard as a possible demonstration of good-eggery...

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 July 2017, 09:47:39 AM »
Wow - that's interesting as my son was stopped only last September!!!!! Looks like he could have told them where to go then.............

Just looked on AA website and little confusing says this -

'(20)All drivers should possess a breathalyser. However, as of the 25th January 2013 a driver can not be
penalised for not carrying one. The fine has been postponed indefinitely. The breathalyser has to be a
certified by the French authorities, showing an ‘NF’ number. The official text states that one unused
breathalyser should be produced. We recommend that two single-use breathalysers are carried, so if
one is used or damaged you will still have a replacement to produce.'

Oh yeh keeping original documents V5 in car - I always felt this was a bit bizarre in the case of car being broken into and that getting stolen. I always lock it in glove box or place somewhere safe.

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 July 2017, 03:07:31 PM »
Looks a worthwhile reason to go, Audax. You'll see lots of tiny war cemeteries - a dozen headstones or less - at crossroads in the countryside. Don't be put of by all the admin, once you've got the paperwork and other stuff sorted (hi-viz vests, warning triangle, etc, etc, etc) just enjoy the trip. If you get away from the trunk roads for meal stops you'll find the locals are really friendly. Same goes for accommodation - gites-de-france.com has proved excellent for B&B when we've been over. All sorts from a couple of rooms in a family farmhouse upwards.

(On one trip home with a cousin - we're two middle-aged males - we asked if we could see the room before booking. As we were going upstairs, the lady paused and asked "Un lit ou deux...?")

I echo Will's comment about back seat drivers - definitely tell your passengers to shout if they see you pull out of a junction or petrol station onto the wrong side of the road, it's odds-on that you'll forget once, a day or so into the journey. It's so easy to do.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 July 2017, 06:29:44 PM »
Looks a worthwhile reason to go, Audax. You'll see lots of tiny war cemeteries - a dozen headstones or less - at crossroads in the countryside. Don't be put of by all the admin, once you've got the paperwork and other stuff sorted (hi-viz vests, warning triangle, etc, etc, etc) just enjoy the trip.

I have been to Belgium and France before but just as a passenger so I have encountered the nicer parts, what we're now thinking though is maybe spend the week based in Kent as there's lots we want to do there and do the Belgium part as a day trip (or overnight) from there. It appears it might save a reasonable amount of the up front cost as we were hoping to have a cheaper holiday as we're trying to save money at the moment, I will re-run the costings on that basis tonight especially after sgould's excellent suggestion to make it a shorter trip!

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 July 2017, 08:01:16 PM »
I echo Will's comment about back seat drivers - definitely tell your passengers to shout if they see you pull out of a junction or petrol station onto the wrong side of the road, it's odds-on that you'll forget once, a day or so into the journey. It's so easy to do.
I found out that's why there are arrows on the roads on Skye - Germans and Dutch pull out of a junction and onto the wrong side of the road!

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 July 2017, 08:18:57 AM »
Thanks to sgoulds suggestion of doing a shorter trip we have now booked a holiday in Kent and are looking at doing a day trip to Belgium while we are there. A long trip to the continent may be next year.