Author Topic: Fixed (well almost) a very annoying thing!  (Read 1658 times)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Fixed (well almost) a very annoying thing!
« on: 28 April 2018, 09:33:42 PM »
Ever since I got the 9-3 over 2 years ago there has been a very high pitched rattle/whistle noise which only comes when travelling at specific speeds and over particular road surfaces. I thought it was coming from under the dash but never got around to dismantling the car to investigate as it never seems to happen on roads around home which is lucky as while travelling away on holiday we finally managed to pin point it!

The source of this noise is the top part of the auto gear selector lever, the lower part is a plastic cover that can rattle with a very high pitched vibration which made it very very hard to find. I think just a single bit of blu-tack or tape will fix this permanently!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Fixed (well almost) a very annoying thing!
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2018, 09:59:10 PM »
Those noises are really difficult.  Although my old age is putting many beyond my hearing these days!!  Over the years I have stuck things to other things to change the vibration frequency.  My old Morris Minor was liberally coated in builder's Flashband!!
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.