Author Topic: headlamp restoration  (Read 1759 times)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
headlamp restoration
« on: 21 September 2022, 08:46:27 PM »
I think I should restore one of the headlamps on the 9-3 as it's starting to go cloudy, one issue I've had before is that once you do it then it seems to deteriorate again quite quickly after, what I was wondering is if I get some UV protective film to put on the headlamps would this work better than using a sealant as A. I can't find any sealant B. I've read if you use sealant you have to do it again shortly after.

Anyone got any words of wisdom to offer?

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: headlamp restoration
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2022, 10:08:49 PM »
I did the 9-3 headlamps on the old 9-3 and I got some UV lacquer from www.paint4u.

Something like this, but a different makeas it was some years ago

https://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=3589

The lights were still OK for the three or four years we had it until it was sold..
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

ScarbSaab

• SST paid up supporter
  • LPT
  • Number of thanks: 14
  • 04 9-5 Aero Estate, 08 9-5 Aero Saloon
    • View Profile
Re: headlamp restoration
« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2022, 12:01:13 PM »
I redid my headlights in April 2021. I can't remember how long ago the garage did them because they were cloudy, but I have repolished them a couple of time in between, with limited success with the UV protection. This time I found a 3M UV coating. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079QL8BYK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far it seems good. The lenses were still slightly yellowed after polishing - I daren't sand it too much! However it doesn't seem to have gotten worse in 17 months and they aren't clouding. I have avoided the pressure washer spraying on the headlights since last year as I heard that can damage the coating and may have reduced the effectiveness of previous attempts.

I'm intrigued by the UV spray lacquer - didn't find that in searches last year.