Author Topic: Leaky rims  (Read 3312 times)

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
Leaky rims
« on: 07 March 2021, 10:46:53 AM »
Is the only answer a full refurbishment? The wheels on my 9-5 are original and reasonably tidy for their age, but two of them need topping up twice a week. Last week, during the cold snap, one of them went down completely overnight so I assumed a puncture. Took it to a tyre place who said no, it was leaking around the rim in multiple places and they would try to reseal it but recommended a refurb.

I refitted it and came out the following morning to a completely flat tyre. I won't be using them again! Threw some tyreweld in and it's held air better but still needed a top up.

What's to do? I don't particularly feel like chucking £50 a corner at a refurb when, as I say, they're cosmetically in fairly good order.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Leaky rims
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2021, 12:52:27 PM »
There's the standard fitting stuff (lubricant), and then there's a sealing material used for special customers.

The rims likely need a good clean in the sealing area to remove corrosion
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

TomPaine

• SST paid up supporter
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 17
  • MY04 9-5 Aero auto estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2021, 02:51:32 PM »
I've had to fit replacement refurbs on all four of my 2004 car. Topping up each corner 2-3 psi a week had become entirely routine; seems luxury not to have to!

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2021, 06:38:48 PM »
It depends very very much on the tyre fitter and how much care they take, I was losing 3psi a week on one rim and got the mobile guy I know out and he spent 30 minutes refitting a single tyre, he cleaned the rim so it was spotless and painted the sealant on very carefully, it's been perfect since although he wasn't confident it would hold and suggested where to take the wheels for a refurb.

How much did you pay for them to do the work? Having a tyre fitted properly to a leaky rim is going to cost £20 a corner as it takes 30 minutes I know that if and when I need new tyres then realistically the rims will need to be refurbed at the same time.

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 March 2021, 08:51:15 AM »
They charged me £25 for the privilege of making it more leaky than it was before. I'll try a few local fitters to see if they offer a rim sealing service.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 March 2021, 09:52:46 AM »
They charged me £25 for the privilege of making it more leaky than it was before. I'll try a few local fitters to see if they offer a rim sealing service.

That's expensive for making it worse! Not sure where you are in Bedfordshire, but I use https://www.facebook.com/blmobiletyres he's based in Papworth on the Cambridgeshire/Bedfordshire border and is mobile. I trust Ben, his dad used to service my bikes and he has the same approach to detail and making sure things are right.

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 March 2021, 10:17:14 AM »
On the western edge of Beds so probably a bit out of range for him.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #7 on: 08 March 2021, 11:35:18 AM »
Not used them, but I knew a guy that used Bucks Powder Coating in Bishopstone, Aylesbury.  But it was around 5 years ago, so I don't know if they are still going.

Otherwise the usual guys; BJV at Flaunden.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 March 2021, 06:51:08 PM »
Biting the bullet. Taken them all off and chucked the car on stands this eve when I got back from work. Dropping off at BJV tomorrow morning. They're still very competitive. £228 incl VAT for a set of 4 including tyre re-fitting.

jimmym105

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 March 2021, 09:09:46 PM »
I messed about for a while with having them resealed on the 900. Bit the bullet and had them refurbished by Prestige Wheels in the Peak District. Honestly they lost almost nothing for 8 years. I've just got a 2008 9-5 Aero Estate and am seeing how leaky the alloys are and might have them all done. Unlike the rest of the car, there's a cosmetic case for having these done too which may swing it

welshwizard

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2021, 04:56:18 PM »
Biting the bullet. Taken them all off and chucked the car on stands this eve when I got back from work. Dropping off at BJV tomorrow morning. They're still very competitive. £228 incl VAT for a set of 4 including tyre re-fitting.

Did BJV do a good job Phoenix?  I've got a pair of ALU102s (19 Turbines) that need TLC.

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2021, 09:34:23 AM »
Yes, very good. All shiny inside and out. I've had quite a few sets done by them now and they've all been good. There might be the odd very minor flaw but they are just that- very minor. The finish is frankly difficult to beat at the price. Turn round time is usually about a week.