Author Topic: Electric window functionality  (Read 3728 times)

CitTone

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 11
  • 9-5TE 2.3T Estate (Rain) 9-3 2.0t 'vert (Shine)
    • View Profile
Electric window functionality
« on: 10 January 2013, 10:13:47 AM »
My '03 car has a "one-shot-down" function on the driver's window, but no similar return capability (which is an ar5e when leaving pay-on-exit car-parks in the rain)

Anyone know if this is modifiable, either by a component swap or a Tech-2 setting?

Even our '02 Citroen C3 has one-shot-down...
Nobody likes a smartarse - until they need one.

phoenix

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 108
    • View Profile
Re: Electric window functionality
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2013, 10:26:39 AM »
No, it's not modifiable*. Saab resisted their implementation for a long time for safety reasons.

*unless you're handy with a bit of circuit board, a 555 timer and a few bits of wire & solder...

There is of course and alternative solution: swap the manual gearbox for an automatic  ;D

CitTone

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2013, 04:35:52 PM »
Oh well - one wet arm, or a queue behind me while I wait for it to wind up!

Steve440

• High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 17
  • Life is to short to drive slowly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2013, 12:15:24 AM »
One of my teenagers spilt some Coke on my switches back in the summer, the stickyness got into the mechanism for a month or so and I had one shot both ways for a while. ;D

Its now worn off and I am back to having to hold the switch down.

I did look at fitting one of these kits  http://www.autoloc.com/catalog/Power-Window-Kits/One-Touch-Express-Units/wc2000/2-Window-One-Touch-Up-And-Down-Window-Unit--(Up-AND-Down)
I fitted them to my other car and they work great, they detect the high currant load at the end of travel and stop the window. I am not sure how they would work on our system.

Steve

« Last Edit: 11 January 2013, 07:49:23 AM by Steve440 »

CitTone

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2013, 06:16:04 PM »
Daft as it sounds, Steve, the Coke idea may just work!

OK - not coke, but just a little flip-down bar to hold the switch in the UP position.

I'm an inveterate improviser (read "constant bodger") so I might just give it a go....to accompany my 3watt LED interior light and dash-mounted auxiliary socket to the AS2....

Steve440

• High Output Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2013, 06:55:57 PM »
Why not buy one of those Autoloc devises, they work very well and even make the windows safer. As they sense the amp draw if somebody puts there hand in the way the window stops. I have a spare one I was going to try when I get a spare couple of hours.

Putting a clip to hold the switch up could be dangerous. Put an apple or potato in the way of the window and see what it does to it. If it was your fingers or worse still your children's fingers you would end up in the causality department.

Steve

CitTone

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 January 2013, 10:13:20 PM »
Autoloc doesn't seem to be available in the UK, and $55 shipping from the US sounds a mite fruity.

If my kids are dumb enough to put their fingers into the driver's door window while it's moving, that's their lookout. The youngest is 25 and he should know better.

Seriously, I am thinking of a way to hold the switch up that needs positive action - but anyhow - are you saying, Steve, that the Saab's windows have no way of sensing obstructions? Seems most un-Swedish!

Steve440

• High Output Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 January 2013, 10:27:09 PM »
I should have posted the amazon link to these http://www.amazon.com/AutoLoc-WC1000-Touch-Down-Window/dp/B000BTQMW0

They want a lot less for postage and the import duty is all included when you get to the checkout. a WC1000 is for one window and WC2000 is for two windows

Mine dont sense obstructions and I suspect that is the reason they dont have single touch close. A lot of vehicles have single touch down but not up as its cheaper. You are hardly likely to keep your finger on the button if it starts to hurt or if somebody starts screaming.

Steve

CitTone

• Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 January 2013, 09:19:19 PM »
You are hardly likely to keep your finger on the button if it starts to hurt or if somebody starts screaming.
Depends who's doing the screaming...
« Last Edit: 14 January 2013, 09:23:00 PM by CitTone »