Author Topic: Fuel pump/filter on it's way out - 2008 2.0T Aero, petrol, 80k  (Read 4830 times)

Agent Orange

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Fuel pump/filter on it's way out - 2008 2.0T Aero, petrol, 80k
« on: 14 February 2013, 11:12:04 AM »
On the back of my recent experinces with the head and valves (poor fuel or additives = burnt out valves and seats), I'm sure now the fuel delivery system is on it's way out - seems to be surging when I'm into the red, goes away when I fill it up. Also the sender unit seems sluggish when I put fuel in - slow to register if I put in 10 to 20 litres. I know the obvious answer is to keep it full away from the rubbish likely to be in the bottom of the tank, but I don't want it to fail completley.
Can someone tell me if the filter is integral to the pump and if so, where I can get a pump from?

Thanks

Guyver1

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel pump/filter on it's way out - 2008 2.0T Aero, petrol, 80k
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2013, 12:12:27 PM »
I get a very slight surge too, Its never not been a smooth drive, but while stationary there is a slight roughness, The rev counter never moves a touch when the surge happens and its more noticeable on cold days. I was thinking it was the fuel filter as its definitely due for a change.

I've got 150000 miles on a 2.0 Aero too

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2013, 03:08:17 PM »
The filter is in line from the fuel tank and scheduled in the service plan on the 9-3. I'd be replacing that first as it's fairly easy if you have the correct tool, although I'm not sure if they are fitted on a 2008 or not, they were fitted on early cars but not 2003 models so they may have been removed again at a later date.

aerojon

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2013, 03:26:24 PM »
there is a screen filter on the pump & a canister filter at the side of the tank..At 80k i'd say the external filter is due a change.

Agent Orange

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2013, 03:50:07 PM »
Do I need to drop the tank to get to the in line filter? If so I might as well replace the pump and sender unit as I think this is on the way out, unless it's just a loose connection?

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2013, 06:43:27 PM »
Do I need to drop the tank to get to the in line filter? If so I might as well replace the pump and sender unit as I think this is on the way out, unless it's just a loose connection?

No! it's just under the car, it's a service item they didn't make it hard to replace. I'd find it strange that you'd have a fuel pump failure in a 9-3 unless there's something really fishy about your car given the problem you already had as I don't think I recall ever changing a fuel pump (although plenty of level sensors) or any 9-3 having valve problems.

Agent Orange

• Saabisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2013, 07:02:45 PM »
Thanks - for the sake of a few quid I'll try this first, should be able to guess the state of the rubbish in the tank if I can get the old one apart.