Author Topic: Starting Issue  (Read 2665 times)

Oldone990

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
Starting Issue
« on: 14 November 2013, 01:43:36 PM »
Hi all
My 2007 model 93 Tid150 estate has developed another issue which I'll do my best to articulate as it is currently an intermittent problem. Sometimes when starting the engine (usually when its fully warmed up) it starts but the engine really shakes around on its mountings before stopping after a couple of seconds. It then starts without any problem and runs fine.
I was wondering whether its likely to be a starter motor problem (ie staying engaged) or something else.
As usual thanks in advance for your help.

Eddie.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Starting Issue
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2013, 04:38:15 PM »
I don't know the engine, but I would guess that air is getting in the fuel line, or there's some vapourisation, and the first start is clearing it.  But it could be lots of other things. But a quick look around the top of the engine for a leaky bit wouldn't hurt.

Has your car needed the rewire on injector 3?  Although that would probably cause general running problems.

Best advice is wait for an expert!!
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2013, 07:38:11 PM »
Sticky EGR or the swirl flaps are knackered. I'd take EGR off and give it a clean and a drop of lube and get someone to start the car and watch the swirl flaps when doing so. Manifold may need a clean or replacement.

Oldone990

• Saabisti
  • Number of thanks: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2013, 02:32:27 PM »
My thanks to both Audax and S Gould for their suggestions.
I am about to go and give the EGR a clean as suggested by Audax, however I'm not sure how to clean the inlet manifold. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
I'm Just hoping its not the swirl flaps as the car has only done 59k miles and by what I've read is a very expensive repair.
Thank again all

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #4 on: 16 November 2013, 05:30:40 PM »

I'm Just hoping its not the swirl flaps as the car has only done 59k miles and by what I've read is a very expensive repair.

Indeed it is - I didnt see much change out of £900  :(

I really dont think this is swirl flaps - once they fall off the car runs like a bag of nails - it's not just a starting problem