Author Topic: Checking if car's you've owned in the past are still on the road  (Read 3350 times)

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
Got this idea from the Merc forum (mbclub.co.uk).

I know these sites are well known but I hadn't thought of using them to see if cars you've owned in the past are still about.

Still taxed/MOT'd:

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

MOT History:

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

I had this Superb from new as a company car. I got made redundant shortly afterwards so the car left me around 10 months old and 12000 miles approx:

Poor thing now appears to be dead having appeared to have being used as a taxi going off the mileage (248k at last MOT) and the very poor MOT history.

Most other cars I've checked are long dead - some early ones lasting longer than I'd thought including my first car (Morris Marina) and a Ford Cortina which were both sold to mechanics for next to nothing. Had thought they'd been scrapped but they both lived on for another 4 or 5 years which does make me happy somehow. Glad they didn't get binned straight away.

Are any of your previous cars still on the road and you assumed they were dead?
« Last Edit: 12 July 2017, 09:39:56 AM by Kev_Mc »

Kev_Mc

• SST paid up supporter
  • Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 08 9-5 Aero
    • View Profile
Re: Checking if car's you've owned in the past are still on the road
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2017, 10:10:28 AM »
The 9-5 I wrecked by installing LPG is dead too. Looks like that only lasted a couple of years after I sold it - last MOT was Aug 2008.

wrighar

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • High Output Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2017, 05:38:54 PM »
My old stg3 9-5 Aero was sold last week and broken:-(

KN52JHU....

Geoff1951

• SST paid up supporter
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 22
  • Sadly Saabless, but with a new mistress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2017, 05:41:43 PM »
Iv'e seen this before - my 9-5 lasted 18 months after it left me in 2014. I'm still sorry it went. Apart from the dead aircon.

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2017, 06:47:46 PM »
All my cars appear to be dead, 10 owned over 20 years of driving including the current 9-3, 1 Austin, 1 Peugeot, 2 Citroens and 6 Saab. I scrapped one and another was insurance write off, another was left at Saabtech Welwyn to be used for parts/scrap. However most of my cars were getting very close to an expensive repair bill when I got rid of them apart from the 9000 Anniversary which I knew would live a few more years before getting expensive, last MOT for that was in 2013 so no idea if it was scrapped or is laid up in a shed.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 July 2017, 01:45:17 PM »
I'm dead chuffed to say my first ever 9-5 T63 JAH is still on road at about 217k - I think it had about 142k when I sold it in 2006 and we retro fitted HID headlamp kit. Amazingly the MOT says' they are fitted but advisory was washers work but headlamp wipers doesn't but it still passed MOT! I reckon looking at the work done it is still the same owner as he loved that car.

Was the first 9-5 estate just prior to Aero and had 2.3t 185 hp engine that Abbotts re-built, fitted hybrid turbo and left with 268 hp. Self-level suspension, sliding load floor, 17 alloys, Saab removable tow bar, ventilated electric mem seats, sunroof etc etc all extras from new.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #6 on: 15 July 2017, 03:32:11 PM »

It's how I knew my old MG Midget had survived; it was declared SORN for years - I just kept checking every now and then, and eventually it pitched up on eBay!  8)

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 July 2017, 03:41:21 PM »
I'm dead chuffed to say my first ever 9-5 T63 JAH is still on road at about 217k

There was a large run of Saab's registered as T?? JAH, I had one of them too, if you search from T32 JAH up to T68 JAH (I got bored checking after that) you can see how many were scrapped in the past 3 years (especially 9-3 models) which is a bit worrying for the older cars.

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • No longer Saab now Nippon Express 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 July 2017, 08:31:43 AM »
I think most were registered at Sabers in Norwich. I think T64 JAH was a 9-3