Author Topic: Goodbye to yet more springs  (Read 1969 times)

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
Goodbye to yet more springs
« on: 13 March 2018, 09:30:06 PM »

Well there goes another set of front springs - the second set in just over 3 years due the the sh-1tty roads in Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire. Has anyone tried going over that damned bridge in Burford?  >:( I have to negotiate the potholes on that bridge every time I go to/from work - its an utter disgrace; I'm sure one of them is so deep you can see through to the water running under the bridge.
The idiots that fill the holes in are doing a crap job of it and most holes are opened up again withing a couple of months. I'm quite serious when I tell you that I've driven on far better roads in 3rd world countries.
I've written to the council and local MP until I'm blue in he face but nothing gets done. I almost hit a cyclist that swerved suddenly wildly into my path to avoid a hole. Someone needs to be held to account.

Yours sincerely,

Mr F Angry

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
Re: Goodbye to yet more springs
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2018, 09:34:41 PM »
Funnily enough just came here from Facebook, a mate of mine with his brand new Merc just lost a tyre to a pothole. The roads in this country appear to be seriously broken right now. I just spent £600 replacing all the suspension on the 9-3 but already I'm thinking it's going to need doing again in a few months time!

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
Re: Goodbye to yet more springs
« Reply #2 on: 14 March 2018, 08:25:57 AM »
Two colleagues at work - one with a nice SAAB TTiD (yes, I've pointed him in the direction of these forums but cant get him active here  ::) ) the other with a monstrously quick BMW M 'somethingorother' have both sustained damage to their cars.
The fellow with the SAAB fitted new springs less than six months ago and told me when he heard I was complaining about my broken springs, that already one of his is broken.
The chap with the BMW came to work in torrential rain and went through a deep puddle that was concealing an enormous hole. It  not only wrote the tyre off, but it wrote off the wheel and did some major damage to his suspension geometry. He was so angry that he even got the police involved by saying that a hole that deep had the potential to kill a motorcyclist.
Lewis with his SAAB TTiD follows much of the same route as I do on a daily basis including the dreaded bridge at Burford, but the BMW only does that route when he drives to/from his home in Birmingham every five days or so as he has digs in Carterton. The BM got damaged on a different local road to Brize, thankfully one that I dont need to negotiate, nevertheless I am sure there is an accumulative amount of damage with the potholes throughout Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire.

A couple of weeks back I headed up to Worcestershire and while I am pretty sure Worcestershire has its own share of craters, the parts I travelled through seemed so much better than my area.