Author Topic: First proper wash and wax :)  (Read 5092 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
First proper wash and wax :)
« on: 22 April 2018, 10:04:49 PM »
At last...decent weather and a free afternoon, so I thought I'd finally get round to giving the Aero (and my Peugeot 107) a wash and wax. The results were very good I think - piccies in the Gallery ;)

The exteror plastic trim was very faded, and came up very well with Bumper Care, apart from the trim along the bottom of the rear bumper, which looks like it may be too far gone in terms of fadedness!!!!! It didn't radically change colour or get magically darker like all the other exterior trim, so not sure what I can do with it. Any suggestions gratefully received (see pic below).

I can now see where the rust is - some on the front drivers wing, which also has attrocious cracked paint along the top edge, and has obviously been repaired a long time ago, and is now only fit to be scrapped!!! I intend to get a wing from a breakers to bolt on. Both rear arches have some blistering at the back, but on the driver's side, there was a little more on the front edge. I want to get that all removed, cleaned up and treated and resprayed at some point.

There is some more cracked paint on the front bumper, but not horrendous. I wonder if that is something I may be able to rub down and spray myself at some point? The rear bumper has various scratches, and the bonnet has a lot of fine stonechips.

But, it's an 11 and a half year old car, with age related wear and tear, and it doesn't half gleam in the sun when it's polished ;) Oh yes!!!!  ;) ;) ;D

« Last Edit: 22 April 2018, 10:16:15 PM by Steve McF »

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
Re: First proper wash and wax :)
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2018, 10:11:59 PM »
Not sure if you can see the cracked paint on the wing, the scratched rear bumper, and bonnet stonechips in these pics. The gleaming paintwork might be too much  :P ;D ;D

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2018, 10:14:18 PM »
Not sure how this spider got in there....and not sure how I can get it out!!!! :o :o

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2018, 10:04:03 AM »
I've had the same in light units before, usually removing the light unit and using something like a cable tie to poke it loose and vigorous shaking of the unit will do it.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2018, 10:47:37 AM »
I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but sometimes blowing a jet of compressed air into a confined space like can eject a small object out of the hole you are blowing the air into, particularly if you can get it near to the hole you are blowing the air into - this might help explain that...

VIDEO

Audax

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 April 2018, 12:36:53 PM »
I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but sometimes blowing a jet of compressed air into a confined space like can eject a small object out of the hole you are blowing the air into, particularly if you can get it near to the hole you are blowing the air into - this might help explain that...

VIDEO

That method will work too just I would avoid it at first as if the outer shell of the light unit has started to de-bond you can work the insect further into it.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2018, 09:06:50 AM »
Vacuum  cleaner with a narrow flexible tube such as bleed-tube taped onto the vacuum cleaner hose?

smurkenstein

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2018, 07:16:29 PM »

The exteror plastic trim was very faded, and came up very well with Bumper Care, apart from the trim along the bottom of the rear bumper, which looks like it may be too far gone in terms of fadedness!!!!! It didn't radically change colour or get magically darker like all the other exterior trim, so not sure what I can do with it. Any suggestions gratefully received (see pic below).

Back to Black - works on the wing mirror mounts too.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #8 on: 24 April 2018, 09:01:35 PM »

Some don't like it (which I don't understand) but I got striking results with Forever Black -  you'll need to mask the areas to be treated off from the paintwork.
I found it lasted well over 18 months before it needed re-doing. My black trim was almost white/grey when I applied it and I was impressed with the result and longevity

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #9 on: 24 April 2018, 09:46:35 PM »
I have been using AutoGlym Black Dye to colour the plastic.  It lasts a lot longer than Bumper Care.  It comes in an Aerosol spray and says that you should mask off, but I spray into a small container and rub it into the plastic with a cloth (and I wear vinyl gloves).  I get a bit on the paintwork, but that wipes off with some AutoGlym Intensive Tar and Adhesive remover.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Steve McF

• Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 April 2018, 11:24:06 PM »
Someone showed me today that you can use black shoe polish - the liquid type that comes in a container with the foam sponge applicator pad on the end of it. Apparently it works well :) And is much cheaper.

What colour is this trim on the bottom of the bumper supposed to be?

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #11 on: 25 April 2018, 06:12:22 AM »
Steve, be aware that shoe polish may contain petroleum products that can harm plastics.

Having said that I do know of people still using Cherry or Kiwi boot polish to shine the rubber bumpered MGs of the mid to late 1970s  ::)

I got My Midget back in April last year and I was guilty of using Kiwi polish back in the day too - but in spite of that, the bumpers don't look like they have been damaged by that practice.

However, more modern plastics? You never know...

smurkenstein

• Vector
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 April 2018, 07:58:17 AM »
Someone showed me today that you can use black shoe polish - the liquid type that comes in a container with the foam sponge applicator pad on the end of it. Apparently it works well :) And is much cheaper.

What colour is this trim on the bottom of the bumper supposed to be?

Brown tan  :)....

only kidding...its black. But your right, back to black/forever black do look quite a lot like the stuff you use n your shoes - but one tube will last forever - in fact, the sponge on my tube fell apart long before the product was all used - I've had it for about 13 years.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #13 on: 25 April 2018, 07:55:54 PM »
the sponge on my tube fell apart long before the product was all used - I've had it for about 13 years.

:o :o ;D ;D ;D

What else would one expect?  ;D