Author Topic: 2001 93 'vert roof issues...  (Read 6507 times)

pandaboy

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 1
  • 2001 93 HOT convertible (with Viggen rescue kit)
    • View Profile
2001 93 'vert roof issues...
« on: 27 May 2012, 03:04:51 PM »
Hi all,

After 3 years of fault free roof up and down fun, today my 93 has developed a roof issue...

In a nutshell;
Roof starts opening fine,
Rear window section lifts up,
Tonneau cover lifts up, (with the flappy bits doing their flappy thing,)
(Although there is a new and very subtle metal scraping noise from passenger side during this bit of the operation.)
As the main roof starts to lift it stalls and I get a beep with a 'soft top failure' message on the SID.  The main roof section is still straight at this point and hasn't even started to fold at this point.
If I release the roof button and press it again the roof will continue its journey, starts folding and then stows itself happily.

I've checked all the micro switches I can find and all appear to be in good shape and clicking away when pressed.
(Even the switch between the rams on the passenger side which is notorious for bending out of shape apparently.  Mine was a little bent so i bent it back but it didn't fix the problem.)

I've checked the hydraulic fluid levels which appear to be fine, just off the full mark, with no obvious leaks.

I've done as much searching as I can with the problem I have, but can't find the exact same problem, or a solution.

I'm concerned it could be the start of a bigger issue...?

Any ideas anyone?

saab talladega turbo

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 12
    • View Profile
Re: 2001 93 'vert roof issues...
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2012, 07:00:57 PM »
hi, it wouldnt go down if any micro switches were dead.
the scraping could be shearpins?
the fluid should be checked with the roof down, if its on full when up it may have too much in.
also it could be the impellar in the pump.
why dont you put the top down manually and then up again and see if anything is amiss.
remember to open the tap on the pump tho.

pandaboy

• Airflow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2012, 09:52:16 PM »
Hi saab talladega turbo,
Many thanks for the reply.
I'll look up more on the shearpins and investigate.
I checked the fluid with the roof 1/2 way down, (I read that this was a good position as when its fully down its a bit tricky to see the fluid levels.  Fluid level was about 2/3's up between the full line and the 'empty' line.)
(Am hoping its not the pump as its the most costly item to get to and replace...)
The bit i don't understand is why the roof gets 1/2 way there, reports an SID error, then carries on as normal after pressing the switch again.
Have run it up and down all day and its the same every time, stalls at the same point, yet continues.

pandaboy

• Airflow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2012, 04:47:12 PM »
Update...
My roof problem persists.
I was convinced it was hydraulic fluid levels, but when the roof is down the level is right on the full line.
After repeated attempts, (and a bit of a helping hand,) the roof goes down, but only after stalling several times on the way, always at the same point with the SID 'soft top failure'.
With the roof down the fluid level is slightly above the full line.  So nothing indicates that fluid has leaked or needs topping up.
The roof seems to struggle and get tired at the point where, after the tonneau cover has lifted up, the whole roof then lifts and bends in half before tucking itself away. 
I'm struggling with what to look for next, as its obvious the switches are fine, (as the roof does complete its journey,) fluid levels appear fine, with the roof up and down.
Could it be the dreaded aging hydraulic ram gremlin? 
Can they be lubed or do they have to be swapped?
Any pointers much appreciated...

saab talladega turbo

• LPT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2012, 10:43:57 PM »
I think if the rams were shot they would leak.
It sounds like it could be the pump impeller.
Either the bearings might be sticking or the blades may have snapped or bent.
Can someone operate the roof while you inspect the pump with a torch.

pandaboy

• Airflow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2012, 09:14:10 AM »
Thanks again talladega,
I will try to have a look at the pump while its being used.
Is there anything to look for to diagnose it is the pump causing the problem?
Also, does anyone know if it is the pump, is it something that can be fixed, or am i looking at a pump replacement to solve the problem?

saab talladega turbo

• LPT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2012, 10:59:56 AM »
You can replace the impeller but I'm not sure if it's more work than a new pump.
I've not had any roof issues except for the windows needing adjustment to fit tight against the roof.
If it goes down eventually by its self then it can't be the switches unless there's not a great connection and then suddenly it makes the connection and the brain senses that and continues.
Have you checked the roof brain and relays. (behind rear left panel).
Also I wonder if it could be the switch fuzzed up and losing power transfer. Try taking the switch pack apart and cleaning. Be careful tho.

pandaboy

• Airflow
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 June 2012, 05:31:52 PM »
The saga continues...
After thorough investigation, the problem appears to be pump related, or as talladega suggests, the impellers int the pump.
Fluid fine.
Switches fine.
No obvious bent or mis-shapen metalwork in the mechanism.
The pump just appears to run out of oomh when its straining the most, just before it slips the roof to fold back.
It always seems to stall at around the same point, (but not exactly the same point,) each time.
If I apply some light pressure with my hand, (and I mean light pressure, not forcing the roof or putting much weight behind it) it can perform its full movement in one go.

So my next question is...

Any advice on repairing / replacing / reconditioning the roof pump? 

saab talladega turbo

• LPT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 June 2012, 07:09:16 PM »
Try 3 in 1 oil the old drip can on every joint you can find on the roof. You should really do this every so often as a rule really. Worth a try

pandaboy

• Airflow
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 June 2012, 07:16:22 PM »
Thanks talladega,
That's a bloody good idea!
I lubed all the rear hinges I could find, but got distracted and didn't get round to the rest...
Appreciate the (admittedly obvious so should have thought of it myself) advice.

saab talladega turbo

• LPT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 June 2012, 07:53:07 PM »
Sometimes it's the most obvious things that get overlooked. It certainly can't hurt anyway. I do think your pump is the fault tho.