Author Topic: Car polishers  (Read 4332 times)

Steve McF

• Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 10
  • 9-5 2.0LPT.....as was, and now 9-3ss 2.0T Aero :)
    • View Profile
Car polishers
« on: 17 June 2018, 06:06:38 PM »
Does anyone use any of these rotary car polishers to buff up their Saab.

If so, anyone got any recommendations?

I've just seen this on Ebay...
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moss-Pro-120W-Electric-Orbital-Motion-Car-Van-Polisher-Polishing-Buffer-Kit/161742687864?hash=item25a89d8e78:g:Fj0AAOSwgQ9ViWIw

David

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
  • Great Western Saabs
    • View Profile
Re: Car polishers
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2018, 09:34:46 AM »
I have one. They are OK but if you really want to get a deep shine you need to buy a cheap Silverline or similar along with some pads.

The large buffers are OK for flat panels but too big to get in to those tight areas. They are big, so you cannot control them as well as the smaller versions and as their 'footprint' is large, the pressure you can get on the pad is minimal. They are fine for a quick buff, but not really suitable if you are trying to get a much better finish.

HTH

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2018, 10:55:01 PM »
There was an unbelievably huge girt long thread on polishers in Detailing World.
From memory there were  two that were in contention but I think they were the  DAS 6 Kestrel  and the DAS6V2 but I can't locate the thread.
They will look pricey by comparison to the Moss job!

However there is a good article on machine polishing do's and dont's which might help you make a decision HERE - One thing I didn't realise is the care that needs to be taken into what polishes and pads are chosen.

The only reference I found to the Moss polisher is  HERE and it doesnt say much

If this is something youve never tried before, there's more to it than you would think - or at least I thought there was when I started looking into it.
In the end it all got a bit confusing and I didnt buy one, but that DA6V2 looks reasonable price and seems to get reasonable reviews so I might look again
All I  need , then is to find out which pads I'll  need and which polishes do what!  ::) ::)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2018, 11:18:18 PM »
I tried a mechanical polisher.  All I got was swirls! :(

Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

Max Headroom

• SaabTechTalk Team
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 62
  • 2006 93 TiD Convertible. Cotswolds, England
    • View Profile
    • Combat Stress
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2018, 11:43:24 PM »
I tried a mechanical polisher.  All I got was swirls! :(

Thats what I feared too.

But with the correct knowledge and gear - right down to the correct pads and proper polish for mechanical polishing it should be a good result.