Author Topic: What I Did To My Saab Today.  (Read 283603 times)

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
  • Number of thanks: 17
    • View Profile
Re: What I Did To My Saab Today.
« Reply #525 on: 29 February 2020, 10:40:15 PM »
Fitted a new rear wiper blade to the rear of the 9-5.  That took all of 30 seconds!! :)

It wasn't a Bosch one then.  They have the wrong size and fitting for the 9-5, despite what it says on the back of the packet.  I bought two and started to wonder how I couldn't do a simple wiper blade.

And to keep on topic, I collected a 2.3LPT estate today..... that will be the subject of another thread, when I get round to it
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
  • Number of thanks: 345
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #526 on: 29 February 2020, 11:06:57 PM »
I got mine as a genuine GM one (Saab9-5/Saab 9-3/Astra H) from the eBay shop of Euro Saab Parts Direct in Dunmow. I've used Peter O'Carroll a few times and found him very good.  He used to run the parts dept of a London Saab dealer. It's perfect fit.  Exactly as the original. I think that the wiper blade may have changed at some point in the life of te 9-5.  This one is just a push to remove and push to clip the new one on.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: 01 March 2020, 12:49:42 AM »
This is the one that I got for the 2007 9-5
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: 01 March 2020, 10:49:38 AM »
These are the ones that don't fit - finger pointing at the saab 9-3 and 9-5 Combi compatbility  :(  (good job too as i seemed to be suffering from shaky hand syndrome)  ;D

9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2003 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon, 2004 Nocturne Blue 2.2 diesel estate, 2006 & 2008 Black Aero saloons, 1998 9000 CSE with Aero engine, 9-5 NG Aero XWD Turbo4, 9-5 NG Aero XWD TTiD

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: 20 March 2020, 10:31:07 PM »
Today I started investigating the scraming blower motor.

I got this far before it started raining...

Needs a vacuum, wash and a grease. :o

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: 21 March 2020, 08:25:16 AM »
That's the hard work done then, presumably you have had the wiper arms off before ;)

Do the wiper spindles while you are in there. I did them on my blue one when changing the speed controller. A couple of weeks ago the same screeching started on my green one  ::)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: 21 March 2020, 09:46:01 AM »
It's the first time I've had the arms off.  I wound up the puller really tight, and nothing happened. So I boiled a kettle and poured the water over. The bang was so loud that my wife thought that something heavy had fallen, and she came down to see if I was OK!! :o

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: 21 March 2020, 02:54:25 PM »
We have "lift-out" :)

The brushes are worn down a bit and the springs fairly extended.  I'm not going anywhere for a while, so I may get some new brushes.   The outer frame is not the same as the WIS.  It has clips and bolts.

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: 28 March 2020, 08:18:58 PM »
Firstly I hope everyone is holding up ok  :thumbsup:

Today I repaired the front bumper SWMBO managed to graze on an unsuspecting SUV.
Had to buy a new washer nozzle (part 12762222) as it appeared to been the only broken part.
Once I got the bumper off found the housing for the hydraulic washer arm (part 12767675) had also bitten the dust and was hanging on by a thread. Managed to patch that up and find a suitable o-ring that seals between the nozzle and the extending arm, only to find the hydraulic arm no longer fully extends. It seems a bit sticky at the mid point of it's extension, so I may be in the market for a salvaged one, if it doesn't get through it's next MOT.
What looked like minor damage turned out to be a massive PITA!

Whilst the bumper was off, I fit the Abbott intercooler I picked up second (maybe 3rd) hand about 6 months ago.
Bit of a phaff getting it in without damaging anything else but not too bad. Also the stock FMIC I took out was in remarkably good shape considering my peak boost is still a little wayward. A very slight bowing at the bottom but nothing major.
Throttle response is markedly snappier. I may go to stage 3+ but don't feel any real need for it, unless it would help when towing..

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: 28 March 2020, 08:34:59 PM »
I might have one of those washers.  I'll look in daylight tomorrow.  I'm sure that I have one with the fixing hooks broken because I took it out he wrong way around, but I might have a good one.  Not sure which side it is though.

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: 28 March 2020, 08:51:07 PM »
That would be awesome if you do Will. Thank you!

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: 29 March 2020, 04:29:40 PM »
I found this one.  It was on the replacement bumper that I used to replace the one I broke on mine.  So I have never used it, but it looks OK.  I also have the plastic cover, if you need that. It's in the original silver - possibly Titan Grey.

If you would like it, PM your details and I'll find a way to get it to you.  I'm not supposed to go out, as I'm on the vulnerable list, but my wife won't be a vulnerable age for a month or so!! :)   I need another bunch of pills soon and the post office is next to the pharmacy in the village.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: 31 March 2020, 01:43:38 PM »
Well, I hope the parcel arrives.  It was collected an hour ago from the porch where I left it.  But, 10 mins ago, a man driving a taxi with a boot full of parcels stopped outside and tried to deliver it back to me... :o  He's sitting outside in his car eating his sandwiches at the moment...

I ordered a new aerial for the car on Friday morning.  It was apparently sent First Class the same day, but it hasn't arrived yet. :)

I must have spent too long doing the aerial investigation and the blower motor with the car unlocked and doors open, because the battery is flat.  I can jumpstart it with my power pack, but it really needs a decent drive to charge it up.  Or I will have to buy a charger.  My old charger failed last year and wasn't replaced. 

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Test pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: 31 March 2020, 02:36:55 PM »
I can jumpstart it with my power pack, but it really needs a decent drive to charge it up.  Or I will have to buy a charger.  My old charger failed last year and wasn't replaced.

20 mins on tickover will do a lot, or go out for a drive,  you aren't going to be having contact with anyone are you ?

Or maybe even repair the battery charger, it's only a rectifier / transformer after all :)

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Overboost
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: 31 March 2020, 02:54:09 PM »
The charger was thrown out.  It must have been bought 50 years ago!! It died when the old garage roof leaked and flooded it and everything rusted away.  I did have a look but it was a mess...

Our local butcher is delivering food, but he's a bit overwhelmed, so on of us my have to goto Costco.  It's our nearest supermarket apart from a mini-Tesco next to the butcher.  I will go the long way around, but it can wait until I've fitted the aerial.  There's just enough power to operate the door locks at the moment - maybe only once more!! :o