Author Topic: Do88 Intercooler  (Read 4685 times)

fka

• Super Aero
  • Number of thanks: 7
    • View Profile
Do88 Intercooler
« on: 10 April 2016, 07:18:42 PM »
Fit the do88 intercooler today.
A few clearance issues with the oil cooler but nothing a bit of bracket bending and grinding didn't sort out. It is also quite close to the radiator but does have a few mm of clearance.
Not really noticed any huge performance gains but saying that TAir stayed didn't go above 35-40 after 5 or 6 good WOT runs, were I'd seen TAir easily hit 50+ after 1 or 2 WOT runs with the stock intercooler and the ECU would start to hold back.

Planning to either send an ECU to Karl (Noobtune) or book a visit, I'm hoping he can unleash a few more NM from my stage 3 map.
« Last Edit: 10 April 2016, 08:22:35 PM by fka »

ade wilkins

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Do88 Intercooler
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2016, 10:51:49 AM »
Looks good, I put one on my vert, to be honest I didn't notice any real gains other than Tair was, as you say, more stable. I did find that my Tair was/is a lot lower than what you are getting. On wot mine is quite comfortably sat at around 20, on a warm day, in town about 35, winter is obviously a lit better, what kind of intake are you using ? If it's standard you should be getting lower than you are stating
SAAB is a SAAB, wether it be a GM, Lancia/Fiat or a V4 with a Ford Taunus engine in it, SAAB.

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2016, 10:42:01 PM »
I've got a stock air box with stock filter and the snorkel deleted, it's still sucking air from low down in the wheel arch, just doesn't have the restrictive resonator box in the way.
I very much doubt you'll get much lower than 35-40 after 5 or 6 consecutive WOT runs, even with a fmic twice the size..

There was slight performance gain BHP wise but the big difference came with Noobtune stage3+ which took me from 380NM to 420NM.
The extra torque is really noticeable when pulling in the higher gears and power delivery is much more linear throughout the rev range.

Of course you're also keeping the intake temps down generally, which is good for the health of the engine.
It's a well worth while mod IMO.

ade wilkins

• Airflow
  • Number of thanks: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2016, 07:35:38 AM »
I put an open air intake with a heat shield on and a cold air feed going from the mesh in the lower part of the bumper, that seems to have helped a great deal. To be fair the intercooler isn't a do88, its an aftermarket job but it sits a bit lower than stock, ill pop up a some photos when I next take it out, unless there's a fault with the air temp sensor it really does get the figures I quoted...
SAAB is a SAAB, wether it be a GM, Lancia/Fiat or a V4 with a Ford Taunus engine in it, SAAB.

fka

• Super Aero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2016, 08:42:30 AM »
I must admit I'm surprised you'd see 20 degrees at WOT on a warm day, that's basically no rise from atmospheric temp when it's passed through a glowing hot turbo.