Author Topic: 9-3X Sportwagon TTiD  (Read 155 times)

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
  • Number of thanks: 27
  • :) I said Twin Turbo mate - Yes 2 on em
    • View Profile
9-3X Sportwagon TTiD
« on: 08 November 2018, 11:48:15 AM »
As my Aero TTiD estate seems to behaving itself I've been having a hunt around again and after finding a nice 9-3X 2.0T Estate for sale in Aero Spec got very excited but only to find someone else knew what it was and sold!!

I have now though found quite a nice 9-3X Sportwagon TTiD which happens to have an Elk badge just below the X on the tailgate (typical location for dealers to place it) but the guy selling it doesn't know if it has performance upgrade or what - no paperwork saying this and previous owner doesn't know. It's nice spec with electric seats auto wipers sat nav and so on but sadly doesn't have xenon's. The chap has given me the VIN so my Saab parts guy is e-mailing Hirsch to see it it truly does have 200hp or someone has simply bought a badge off eBay or somewhere...............I seem to recall though someone saying occasionally dealers would put some kind of sticker in engine compartment confirming upgrade but where would that be. My 9-5 had upgrade but no engine bay sticker; just the Elk badge on the back.

I've had xenon's on my last 4 cars now so if I went with this can we now get decent halogen bulbs to get anywhere near xenon performance??
Who said diesels dead - mine goes allriot

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
Re: 9-3X Sportwagon TTiD
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2018, 12:44:31 PM »
Update - Yes the car did have Hirsch upgrade to 200 hp from new!!! Bonus I'm not telling the seller!

Only one thing concerns me is previous 3 services have been by Saab but last one was a local garage and done 2k ago but they used normal fully synthetic oil.............................. at 120k will this have had a detrimental effect on the engine or will it be ok if an oil and filter change is carried out straightaway using 0W40? The MOT history is clear as a bell with only occasional advisory on tyres.

aerojon

• LPT
  • Number of thanks: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2018, 06:11:19 PM »
bit puzzled by what you mean normal fully synth oil..what about the timing belt water pump etc they've got to be due..
« Last Edit: 08 November 2018, 06:14:51 PM by aerojon »

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 307
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #3 on: 08 November 2018, 09:10:44 PM »
The TTiD uses the low ash Mobil 0w/40, not the normal Dexos.  But I have never investigated the difference.  It may be that the Dexos2 is OK.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 307
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
« Reply #4 on: 08 November 2018, 09:29:05 PM »
I've found an oil spec in the later workshop manual. 

I'm not sure if there are different viscosities for Dexos2.  it also depends on which engine in the very last cars made.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

mikeloadsasaabs

• Aero
  • Number of thanks: 18
  • Was 9-5 Aero auto estate with Maptun Stage 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 November 2018, 10:31:49 AM »
The xenons on my old 9-5 were rubbish. I'm using Ring +130s on my Honda, they are pretty good and seem to be lasting well - the Osram Nightbreakers were OK but only lasted about 3 months. From memory the Rings have been in for around 5 months.

Oh how I hanker for another Saab as a plaything!

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 November 2018, 09:28:00 AM »
bit puzzled by what you mean normal fully synth oil..what about the timing belt water pump etc they've got to be due..

Yes - these have been done but this last service was non Saab and he says they used normal fully synthetic oil! I don't think he has any idea about the car as he calls the side lights DRL's which we all know aren't as they are not bright enough and he thinks the radio is DAB on the Sat Nav unit; the same as I have in my aero................. so i doubt it is event Dexos oil

Norfolk Jim

• SST paid up supporter
  • Viggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 November 2018, 09:29:30 AM »
The xenons on my old 9-5 were rubbish. I'm using Ring +130s on my Honda, they are pretty good and seem to be lasting well - the Osram Nightbreakers were OK but only lasted about 3 months. From memory the Rings have been in for around 5 months.

Oh how I hanker for another Saab as a plaything!

Thanks Mike - I must admit my 9-5 xenon's were excellent and on my 9-3 Aero at the moment the garage set them as high as they possibly could on the MOT tester and they've been superb on our windy roads.