Author Topic: Smoky Turbo ?  (Read 164 times)

carrera

• Linear
  • Number of thanks: 2
    • View Profile
Smoky Turbo ?
« on: 18 December 2018, 07:01:52 PM »
I picked up a breaker car last week, primarily for the transmission control module and possibly gearbox to fix my silver rescue project. I also thought I could drop the 2.0 engine into my glacier blue rescue http://www.saabtechtalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3934.0

Some bits of the engine were missing, but I took the peripheral parts of the glacier blue engine, fitted them and went to start the car. It hasn't been turned over for 2 years, but it started on first turn of the key. Yay  :)  No exhaust, no lambda sensors, incomplete vacuum system.

There was some smoke, which I expected to dissipate when the engine warmed up, but I then noticed it was blue smoke, rather than condensation. Left it running 5 minutes, turned off and restarted a couple of minutes later and the smoke was worse.

I'm thinking the turbo seals have gone.

Does that make sense. If it is I suppose I will need to swap over the turbo's before I pull the engine out ?

Any further thoughts ?

9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2002 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2003 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 308
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Smoky Turbo ?
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2018, 07:06:51 PM »
Valve stem seals have also been known to fail, but that usually gives smoke on the overrun.

You can get an idea of the turbo seals if you check for play in the turbo shaft.  If the exhaust is disconnected, the shaft is accessible.  You could also remove the metal cobra pipe on the inlet and check that end too.  There should be no play sideways and hardly any along the shaft.
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

carrera

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2019, 02:49:42 PM »
Thanks, finally back on this.

As the exhaust is already off I stuck my finger in and had a feel, as you might say.

Not as easy on the B204 turbo as the outlet housing is different to the B235 turbo. Comparing it to my "working but a bit smoky" unit on the shelf there was neither axial nor radial play, but it did seem to need a little bit more effort than I expected to spin the turbo.

The outlet housing was liberally coated in oil, with some splatter onto the floor and components on the left hand side of the engine bay. I have cleaned it up and start her up as I need to shuffle the car around
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2002 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2003 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon

carrera

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2019, 11:53:10 AM »
A further update:

Started the car- there's a turbine whine from the turbo when on fast idle, it disappears when the engine drops onto normal idle. On initaal start there's a lot of smoke, then it settles down as the fast idle drops and then as the engine gets up to temperature the blue smoke increases.

I hadn't touched the accelerator up to this point. I decided to to give it a couple of blips. Cue huge, and I mean huge, billows of smoke as the revs dropped with increased smoke production from that point.

I'm more convinced that I need to swap turbos over. Time for a bit of penetrating oil on the exhaust nuts I think.

How important is it to drain the coolant - absolutely necessary or will a poly bag under the header tank cap be sufficient to prevent air entering as water drains ??

fka

• Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2019, 06:48:56 PM »
You'll loose most of coolant and a little oil. I drained the first time I took a turbo off but decided not to when I last took one off, it was a mistake!  ::) 

carrera

• Linear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2019, 07:43:33 PM »
Thanks, just the advice I was looking for.  :)