Author Topic: Remote lock / unlock not working - another solution  (Read 109 times)

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
    • View Profile
Remote lock / unlock not working - another solution
« on: 06 November 2019, 09:25:09 PM »
I have just found out another failure mode for the remote lock / unlocking which I thought was a battery failure at first. Pressing the tailgate unlock showed "2 keys 2 transponders" on SID, so that told me the key was transmitting and a message was being received.

I was pointed very strongly in the right direction to the solution by this post http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=26395 which has some excellent photos. Note that further disassembly is possible contrary to what is said in that thread. If you push the sliding pin out of the way the lock assembly can be rotated further and the lockset removed. It is therefore possible to adapt the physical tumblers to an existing key, which avoids having to recode a key to the car. A bit of patience and dexterity is required. The springs are very small and easily lost. 

After removing the ignition lock the remote locking worked, which confirmed that the problem was with the lock not popping up when the key was removed. In my case this was also visibly the case.

After a bit of lock disassembly, cleaning, tweaking of the disturbed tumblers I finally discovered what the issue was. The little retaining pin when rotated to the "remove" position is supposed to slide towards the centre of the shaft, propelled by the spring at the bottom of the lock behind the plastic cover.

In my case it seemed as if the hole had elongated, allowing it to wobble and jam. I added a little chemical metal to the ramp so that the pin would be already closer to the shaft, the wobble would be less and lo & behold, the spring was now able to pop the lock up.

I can now refit the lock cylinder back in the car and have the full benefit of central locking  :)

I was going to use a lock cylinder from the breaker, but there is a design change around 2004 year with a wider key which makes then incompatible.

Is there a qualification for Saab Master Locksmith  ;D

9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2002 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon

sgould

• Aerobic
  • SST paid up supporter
  • Wide open throttle
  • Number of thanks: 325
  • 2006 9-5 Aero estate - Hirsched.
    • View Profile
    • Christine Bennett - soprano
Re: Remote lock / unlock not working - another solution
« Reply #1 on: 06 November 2019, 09:35:46 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Help support SaabTechTalk by making a Lump Sum donation or by opening a subscription. 
Options available are in your Profile/Actions.

carrera

• SaabTechTalk-Team
  • Turbo
  • Number of thanks: 13
    • View Profile
Re: Remote lock / unlock not working - another solution
« Reply #2 on: 07 November 2019, 03:15:52 PM »
The lock was refitted this morning. Everything is working as it should.  :thumbsup:
9-5 Aero Estates, 2002 Cosmic Blue, 2002 Steel Grey, 2003 Graphite Green, 2004 9-5 Glacier Blue 2.0 saloon